It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

52 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I'm waiting for the day when a corps converts a 26' box truck into a rolling laundromat.

22 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Laundro Truck parks next to the kitchen truck where the water hook up and street type drains are located.  Water usage (showers/kitchen truck) is probably part of the daily rate corps pay.   Corps would not use this truck every day, so it would take a few years maybe to recoup the start up costs.  Or, they have other corps in the area pay them for the four hours to do all the uniforms and maybe staff/volunteers clothing.

15 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

A laundry truck?  Would a corps buy a laundry truck?  I think this might be a logistical hardship.  MM's do laundry at a laundromat with many washers and dryers and they get the day off too.  Who is going to do laundry in the laundry truck?  How would it be done?

There are government agencies that have portable laundry vehicles so you buy a used one or a corps works with a plumber to build it complete with a large water tank.  I'm initially thinking of the several times during tour that volunteers head off to the laundromat with rolls of quarters to do the corps uniforms/costumes.  With 5/6 of us in 15, we were done in 3-4 hours(?).  So volunteers would still do the unis.  If the mm/staff used it, a schedule would be set up over a few days to get them through.  Then they  might get a full day off.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

There are government agencies that have portable laundry vehicles so you buy a used one or a corps works with a plumber to build it complete with a large water tank.  I'm initially thinking of the several times during tour that volunteers head off to the laundromat with rolls of quarters to do the corps uniforms/costumes.  With 5/6 of us in 15, we were done in 3-4 hours(?).  So volunteers would still do the unis.  If the mm/staff used it, a schedule would be set up over a few days to get them through.  Then they  might get a full day off.

There are a bunch of options for the companies that provide portable laundry. Fema I think have a list of approved companies. I have seen it somewhere and will try to look it up. 

36 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Laundro Truck parks next to the kitchen truck where the water hook up and street type drains are located.  Water usage (showers/kitchen truck) is probably part of the daily rate corps pay.   Corps would not use this truck every day, so it would take a few years maybe to recoup the start up costs.  Or, they have other corps in the area pay them for the four hours to do all the uniforms and maybe staff/volunteers clothing.

There are many cities that would fine you for waste dumping.  Trust me on this one.

Mike

38 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Laundro Truck parks next to the kitchen truck where the water hook up and street type drains are located. 

The problem is the waste water.

Its considered sanitary sewage,so it has to be handled accordingly.

I've designed commercial laundry facilities.

Large capacity commercial washers discharge more water,faster then

a home washer.

You'd have to make sure schools have a place to dump sewage and,

in the event of schools with septic systems,the capacity for the volume of

water the washers put out.

Does anyone know how corps deal the waste from bus and RV bathrooms now ?

The other thing is dryers.

They use a lot of propane.

9 minutes ago, MikeN said:

There are many cities that would fine you for waste dumping.  Trust me on this one.

Mike

I believe The Dave Matthews  Band got in all kinds of trouble for dumping raw sewage from one 

of their buses into a river.

Maybe, over the years, the people who run DCI are making good money and maintaining the archaic way of running DCI. Any new model would find that some people are making an abundant of money and then, possibly, there would be another  issue found in the national news. I'm NOT saying this is true but look how drum corps were run 30 and 40 years ago. I was with a corps who's corps director was caught red-handed stealing money from the Bingo fund and was doing it for years. That corps was done in 1982.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Isn't this a costly solution to a problem that doesn't exist?  The major cleaning corps are interested in is usually with their shows.

• Like 1