It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

And who are they?  They are the 19 time DCI champion, perennial top 5 DCI corps, finalist at DCI since 1974.  DCI this, DCI that.  Their resume is built entirely on DCI.

Proving that even they knew they needed the context of a competitive league to succeed.

As long as they included enough others, that would be possible.  

None of those individual corps "brands" matter enough to be a draw without other corps involved.  It amazes me no end to see person after person come on here and blather on about how if you took the top X DCI corps, they would draw a crowd... as if that proves DCI does not matter?  :doh:

We shall agree to disagree. Peace.

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

We shall agree to disagree. Peace.

Or as The Bluecoats might say, ✌️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 1:47 PM, MikeRapp said:

The deal would have to be good enough. Yes. In fact Nike might actually buy a uniform company to be in the game. That’s usually what happens.

i would be shocked if all of those companies haven’t discussed this for decades. It was a business that made a little sense for them when bands would not change uniforms for decades. Now, with the way shows are designed, it actually could make sense because uniforms change every year and sometimes groups have more than one uniform in a given year. And when you think about it, it’s really not a bad model for a Nike or under armor.

maybe top bands change all the time. the majority of bands in America aren't even competitive

On 8/23/2019 at 6:20 PM, HockeyDad said:

Hmmm. DCI does not have a major league product. It cannot act like a major league any more than the XFL could, or the AAFL (anyone remember that league?  It came and went quickly).  “Marching music’s major league” is a cute marketing term. Nothing more. It’s not in any way comparable to a sports major league. Or even a minor league. So I don’t know where this thread is going. But the best each individual corps can do is to try to stay solvent. Perhaps cutting down on the tour could help. And at the same time, increase the drama. Keep it regional until the final two or three weeks. 

DCI is the major league of drum corps circuits. Major League Soccer is a major league, yet no on pr with major league baseball is it? Yet MLS calls itself major league.

it's marketing semantics. you're trying to be far too literal.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, cixelsyd said:

And if in June, seven other corps are ahead?  Ask them again, and you will get a different answer.

So what does this prove, exactly?  The only thing this proves is what I just said earlier... the the so-called "market value" of a drum corps is the product of their ranking in contests.  Thanks for corroborating that!

and ask a concert promoter....you wants JayZ or Styx? The Stones or Weird Al? Years ago, Quiet Riot opened here for Loverboy. 8 months prior, Loverboy was on top of the charts, and Quiet Riot was just launching their brand. Fans left in droves after Quiet Riot. They were new, they were hot. So yes if a DCI corps explodes into the scene, a promoter will want them...but they'll also want the names guaranteed to draw regardless of placement due to historical value.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, MikeRapp said:

Their rankings are a product of their popularity; not the other way around.

well, no Mandarins are one of the fan bases darlings these days. yet they aren't a contender per the judges.

14 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

DCI indeed may not need to exist without competition. That said, please do us a favor and simply understand that DCI competition is designed and dictated by the member corps! DCI isnt an independent organization that bears some standard over its members. It’s designed to appear to be a level playing field that is in NO WAY such.

ah yes dictated. So who does Gibbs call next year to tell them it's their turn?

13 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Whether you want to admit it or not, 90% of the tickets sold on tour are to see the top seven corps. Historically it is undeniable that the top seven hardly ever changes due to the designed nature of DCI. So while I personally might pay to see Open class tour, or shows with no top seven corps, 90% of America won’t.

If you refuse to believe this that is your choice. But you are dreaming.

Let me put this another way. If DCI World class was seven corps, only seven—the top seven from 2019–attendance would be 90% what 2019 was.

historically top 7 corps placed placed 9, 12th and 17th this year.

20 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

What does that mean?  Are you saying judges slot corps entirely based on "popularity"?  Not the criteria on the sheets?

This sets up a thought / question I have had for a while:  Suppose at a competition very early in the season, 2 Corps swiched identities and were announced as the other Corps. 

For example - lets say BD and BDB premier at the same show, but BD is placed in the show order, announced as BDB, & vice versa. Would the judges have the guts to place the Corps announced as BDB ahead of BD?  

On 8/23/2019 at 4:27 AM, MikeRapp said:

Several of us were talking about revenue sharing. DCI already has limited revenue sharing for ticket sales. Merch would require a different type of agreement that probably would never fly with the members.

Didn't BD, SVC and Cadets have 1 company taking over the Souvie business this year?  (I could be wrong here.)

And if I am right, their combined Booth was dwarfed by the one for the Bluecoats.