It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

1 hour ago, gak27 said:

BlackandwhiteWellwornBlackmamba-size_res

I don’t know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?

—Cousin Eddie

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Isn't this a costly solution to a problem that doesn't exist?  The major cleaning corps are interested in is usually with their shows.

Especially when the big elephant in the room is gym floorspace. 

How long before all the facilities now provided by schools are required to be arranged by the tour; sleeping, showers, toilets, practice space.

Somebody said the "circus" coming to town and completely self-contained.

That requires trucks with showers, toilets, and bleachers.

Looking at some figures from various 990s, it appears that food is about 10% of the annual budget and transportation about 40%. Does that seem accurate? I'd focus on transportation costs and reeling those in even if it means a shorter tour. 

11 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Actually,if this was handled the way I originally suggested,the logistics wouldn't be that difficult.

My recommendation was that this be handled through DCI.

DCI executes one contract with each supplier.

DCI pays the suppliers.Each corps pays DCI.

DCI knows each corps' schedule (shows,practice sites, etc.)

Based on this,they set up set up mutually convenient "drop off" /"pick up" locations for each supplier the

the corps.

DCI could even make adjustments in corps' schedules,before the season,to

simplify "droop off"/"pick up" locations.

If you're talking about non-perishable items,you'd need a limited amount of 

pick ups during the season.

Perishables would be a bit trickier.

But, if DCI gets a contract with a company like Walmart,it should be 

doable.

More then anything,it comes down to DCI and the corps wanting to do this.

and then housing gets changed at the last minute

8 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Isn't this a costly solution to a problem that doesn't exist?  The major cleaning corps are interested in is usually with their shows.

That's a different type of hosing away of waste product.

11 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Looking at some figures from various 990s, it appears that food is about 10% of the annual budget and transportation about 40%. Does that seem accurate? I'd focus on transportation costs and reeling those in even if it means a shorter tour. 

Transportation costs is one of the things that talked about in this thread.

DCI could "bid" things like bus,rv and truck leasing .

They could also contract with a fuel supplier.

Edited by rpbobcat

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and then housing gets changed at the last minute

I know there have been a couple of stories about this happening during the season.

Do you if it happens frequently ?

As far as it affecting "drop offs"/"pick ups" of supplies,logistically I

wouldn't expect "drop offs" to individual corps at housing sites.

I'd look at a more centralized location at/near show sites.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

As far as it affecting "drop offs"/"pick ups" of supplies,logistically I wouldn't expect "drop offs" to individual corps at housing sites.  I'd look at a more centralized location at/near show sites.

Sysco does not meet their customers in a central location.  These type providers are use to many delivers each day.

Edited by Ghost

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Transportation costs is one of the things that talked about in this thread.

DCI could "bid" things like bus,rv and truck leasing .

They could also contract with a fuel supplier.

How much do you think they're "wasting" on transportation? My guess - very little to zero. They're going with regional solutions and if you bid it out to a national solution, I really don't think you'll see a drop in price. One easy way to drop costs is to make tours shorter, but there's really no need for this. Some potential member can't afford the fees, but plenty can. Drum crops is a failed business proposition from the start. Take a stadium and do something that cuts out 3/4 of the seats as "Undesirable" - yeah, that's a smart plan. But they don't need to make a profit, they need to break even. The best way to raise money is schmoozing the donors, but even that has limits. The premise of this thread is that the business model needs to evolve and then assumes that individual corps are idiots and unable to search for low bidder. Of course they're doing that already. Going to a national supplier isn't guaranteed to cost less. 

42 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

How much do you think they're "wasting" on transportation? My guess - very little to zero. They're going with regional solutions and if you bid it out to a national solution, I really don't think you'll see a drop in price. One easy way to drop costs is to make tours shorter, but there's really no need for this. Some potential member can't afford the fees, but plenty can. Drum crops is a failed business proposition from the start. Take a stadium and do something that cuts out 3/4 of the seats as "Undesirable" - yeah, that's a smart plan. But they don't need to make a profit, they need to break even. The best way to raise money is schmoozing the donors, but even that has limits. The premise of this thread is that the business model needs to evolve and then assumes that individual corps are idiots and unable to search for low bidder. Of course they're doing that already. Going to a national supplier isn't guaranteed to cost less. 

I wouldn't use the word "wasting".

As far as lower prices,there's nothing to lose by soliciting proposals.

I bid a lot of projects,including equipment and fuel purchases.

DCI should  try a national bid.

If that doesn't give you significant savings,try regional bids.

Maybe there aren't significant savings to be had.

But you don't know that until you try.

Individual corps may be doing this,but having DCI do it for the entire 

activity gives you "economy of scale".

I do agree with you 100 %  about drum corps'  "business (?) model" being,economically,

a "failed proposition".

Edited by rpbobcat