It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

"i love such and such player who wears such and such number on his jersey.  love the shoe they "designed" that got manufactured by reebok/nike/adidas. i'll buy that jersey and shoes and wear them as casual wear and to games!"-----millions of sports fans generating hundreds of millions in profit for corporations. 

"i love such and such corps.  i'll buy that corps' uniform and wear it as casual wear and to dci events!"-----zero dci fans (unless they're actually insane, which isn't out of the question, i guess) generating zero for uniform companies. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:57 PM, Slingerland said:

The last time the top 6 or 7 corps from the previous season were not also the top 6 or 7 corps in the season following was.....40 years ago.

Your "if" is based on something that simply doesn't happen. Those corps with greatest track records of success are bigger draws for audiences than those who are not near the top.  But hey, I suggest you take your theory and use it to book a 4000 seat stadium and book no corps who placed higher than 13 the previous season, and see how you do. 

Or was it 3 seasons ago?  Maybe 3.  BAC was 12th in 16 and jumped to 6 in 17,  thereby changing the previous years top 6.  Or did I misunderstand the premise?  I think it also happened not so long before then with Phantom dropping down.  And BAC was 5th one year but 7 or 8 the following.  It may not be common but it does happen.

5 hours ago, garfield said:

From my quote of the OP's post...

A few comments...

Every travel baseball, field hockey, and summer travel soccer team can say the same about their impact on kids each year, and Under Armor, for one, has said they're not interested because band doesn't match their target market.  Health and fitness companies go after athletes and not in a recent decade has DCI devoted energy to demonstrating that MM's are athletes.  Drum corps has a HUGE wall to climb to teach people and the MM's are strong athletes and performers, and that people shouldn't run through our ranks.

Another gem. Had I been drinking coffee it would have spewed. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Or was it 3 seasons ago?  Maybe 3.  BAC was 12th in 16 and jumped to 6 in 17,  thereby changing the previous years top 6.  Or did I misunderstand the premise?  I think it also happened not so long before then with Phantom dropping down.  And BAC was 5th one year but 7 or 8 the following.  It may not be common but it does happen.

BD
Bloo
Cadets
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers

BD
Crown
Bloo
Cadets
SCV
BK

Bloo
BD
Crown
SCV
Cavaliers
Cadets

BD
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers
Bloo
Cadets

SCV
BD
Bloo
Crown
Boston
Cavaliers

BD
Bloo
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers
Boston

Six seasons, and four corps have been in the top six group every year, five have been there five out of six times. One corps getting in there twice in a row doesn't negate the truth that the previous season's top corps are very likely to be much the same year after year, and the financial reality that for show sponsors, a year where they have 3 or 4 top eight corps is a better gate than a year in which they have no top corps.

The corps at the top of the competitive ladder bring more market value to bear than those who aren't.

Edited by Slingerland

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

BD
Bloo
Cadets
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers

BD
Crown
Bloo
Cadets
SCV
BK

Bloo
BD
Crown
SCV
Cavaliers
Cadets

BD
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers
Bloo
Cadets

SCV
BD
Bloo
Crown
Boston
Cavaliers

BD
Bloo
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers
Boston

Six seasons, and four corps have been in the top six group every year, five have been there five out of six times. One corps getting in there twice in a row doesn't negate the truth that the previous season's top corps are very likely to be much the same year after year, and the financial reality that for show sponsors, a year where they have 3 or 4 top eight corps is a better gate than a year in which they have no top corps.

The corps at the top of the competitive ladder bring more market value to bear than those who aren't.

Your generalized comment stated the last time the top 6 changed was “40 years ago”.  I merely pointed out that was inaccurate, that there was a very recent change. Your clarification is wrong.  BAC was 6th in 2017, Cadets  moved back to 7th. That was the change I pointed out.  And there are others when you look back 40 years.  That’s all.

16 hours ago, Slingerland said:

BD
Bloo
Cadets
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers

BD
Crown
Bloo
Cadets
SCV
BK

Bloo
BD
Crown
SCV
Cavaliers
Cadets

BD
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers
Bloo
Cadets

SCV
BD
Bloo
Crown
Boston
Cavaliers

BD
Bloo
SCV
Crown
Cavaliers
Boston

Good thing DCI stages contests to create that competitive ladder that all this "market value" is predicated on, then.

So earlier in this thread, we were debating whether DCI needs the top corps more than the top corps need DCI...

Recently, on the "Crown and Coats got ripped off" thread, someone suggested that a repeating champion be required to sit out DCI finals for a year.  Typical reaction is that such a corps could not even survive the interruption to their annual DCI involvement.

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So earlier in this thread, we were debating whether DCI needs the top corps more than the top corps need DCI...

Recently, on the "Crown and Coats got ripped off" thread, someone suggested that a repeating champion be required to sit out DCI finals for a year.  Typical reaction is that such a corps could not even survive the interruption to their annual DCI involvement.

I think that would be a quick double digit hit to attendance. When checking out competitions in the area don't you look at the big names that are attending? I know that probably wouldn't apply to finals. But let's say I'm BD and I won two years in a row and now have to sit out this year. Fine, I'll just put out a "nice" show this year and save more money for an even bigger show next year. Of course, I don't think a sit out a year rule would ever pass but just for sake of discussion...

Wait, I thought MMs go to particular corps for their educational experience.

Wouldn't a non-competing year at BD still be better on a resume than a competing year at BAC, Cadets, Madison, or PC?  That's the claim anyway.

Maybe MM's aren't as clear (or forthcoming) about what they want out of a marching season.

I've been thinking about the topic of evolving the business model and I'm wondering if there really is much to cut on the expense side other than making tours shorter. And is there really a need to cut costs? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people signing contracts for the season.  In my opinion, GoFundMe has made higher costs more palatable. You may not raise enough from family and friends to pay the entire year, but you can get enough to bring it back down to reasonable levels. So I was thinking that the evolution needs to happen on the fundraising side, but maybe, via GoFundMe, that evolution has already happened. The best way to raise money is to ask for it. I would be more willing to give Becky $100 who is going to Blue Devils than to send $100 directly to Blue Devils.