Seattle Cascades Director resigned

3 hours ago, BrassTeacher said:

Let's try it this way:

He made public what he wanted public. Anyone other than Tommy or the BoD has no reason to know any more than that. In other words, anything other than what he chose to share is his business. It is not the function of any third party to make uneducated guesses, especially ones that could damage the reputation or image of either party involved.

I will point out something I pointed out around this time last year when someone came after me on this forum, someone not involved, with no real information on the subject: These are real human beings you are talking about, with real lives. So the same respect you would want shown to you.

Unfortunately, the staff turnover, difficulty in both getting new members, vet retention, & member experience is enough to hurt the Cascades without any uneducated guesses.  Tommy not only helped to inspire the members this year but he also brought a vision for the Cascades & an excitement & passion that pushed them in to Semifinals!  Despite what may have happened on the road or behind the scenes, he seemed to keep the members focused on getting better & helped them achieve something they haven't done in years.  His departure from the corps is truly a shame - amicable or not - and I wish him nothing but the best.  As for Cascades, I hope they take this opportunity to look inward & refocus on what truly matters - IMO it may be time to clean house on the back side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Still doesn’t mean people can’t comment and discuss.

There's a difference between discussion and actively digging for dirt just to satisfy one's need for a scandal. Which is it you are after? Everything you've written indicates the latter.

People on this forum have indeed crossed over the line into libel/slander in the past. I respect and trust Tommy far too much to sit idly by and watch people try to do it to him.

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s true.  People are always looking for something sinister even when there probably isn’t anything much to it. Maybe it’s just a difference in opinion about the direction of the corps or something innocuous like that.  

We’re now conditioned to think the worst.  Sad.  I know people don’t mean to be that way. 

I agree, except for the last sentence. I've seen people here go out of their way to be mean.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrassTeacher said:

There's a difference between discussion and actively digging for dirt just to satisfy one's need for a scandal. Which is it you are after? Everything you've written indicates the latter.

People on this forum have indeed crossed over the line into libel/slander in the past. I respect and trust Tommy far too much to sit idly by and watch people try to do it to him.

I agree, except for the last sentence. I've seen people here go out of their way to be mean.

Not me! 🙂

• Like 2

Pacific Northwest is a hard place for drum corp. A lot of it has to do with schools being out later than others but it's just so far up north. I'm glad either SCV and BD do rotating early tours up there other than that it's forgotten. There are some really good open class corps but their tours usually end around DATR. Oregon Crusaders was the best hope for a really strong world class corp but I don't know if they will field a corp again. 

12 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Pacific Northwest is a hard place for drum corp. A lot of it has to do with schools being out later than others but it's just so far up north. I'm glad either SCV and BD do rotating early tours up there other than that it's forgotten. There are some really good open class corps but their tours usually end around DATR. Oregon Crusaders was the best hope for a really strong world class corp but I don't know if they will field a corp again. 

Very true. Just think of all the corps that were/are from that region: The Marauders, Spartans, Imperials, Argonauts, Oregon Crusaders (questionable), and The Seattle Cascades (still active).

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Very true. Just think of all the corps that were/are from that region: The Marauders, Spartans, Imperials, Argonauts, Oregon Crusaders (questionable), and The Seattle Cascades (still active).

Columbians are active in DCI's Open Class.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SeatownDude said:

A hard pill to swallow in this situation [...]

Pun intended?

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

She has. But she has tweeted that she is still interested in hearing any stories that people may want to tell her. 

Good for her. Not only on still being interested in the drum corps stuff, but on moving up to USA Today.

I worked for USA Today's website for a while... good crew with the site and the newspaper then, and I'm sure it still is. One of my old friends is still there, as the website's baseball editor.

• Like 1