Which is your favorite 8th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 8th place show of the decade?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 8th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Call of the Wild (Blue Stars 2019)
    • 15 Minutes of Fame (Cavaliers 2012)
    • Houdini (Blue Stars 2010)
    • i (Blue Knights 2017)
    • The Once and Future Carpenter (Blue Stars 2018)
    • Revolution (Boston Crusaders 2011)
    • Rise (Boston Crusaders 2013)
    • 78th & Madison (Madison Scouts 2015)
    • That One Second (Blue Knights 2014)
    • Voice of Promise (Phantom Regiment 2016)

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You’re making me cry again.  I cried every #### time. 

That One Second for me as well.

I always lost it when the corps flipped the scrim with the horn arc on it.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Oh man.  This is hard.  Three shows on this list I LOVE.  2010 Blue Stars I talk about all the time, first really good shows I saw in competition and have been hooked on them ever since.  2014 Blue Knights was an emotional juggernaut that did narration and an emotional theme about as well as you could have.  Also really enjoyed Madison Scouts in 2015, that show was just really well done and performed on all levels.  

HM to Blue Stars this past year and in 2018, glad they’ve had two strong seasons in a row.  

Had to go with 2010 Blue Stars though, that show just shook me to the core.  

I had loved Blue Stars' 2008 show, "Le Tour" so much that 2009's "The Factory" and 2010's "Houdini" to me were slight disappointments, but I certainly won't begrudge the show its placement and very high score.

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I guess, contrary to the final minutes of Cavaliers's show in 2012, that they did not have "their swagger back" that year.

"In the future, everyone..."

On 8/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

If I had asked, after 2013, what would people be considering the best 8th place show of the 2010s, "Houdini" would have been the runaway choice.

So far in the votes, it's not even placing fifth!

"Houdini" has moved into second, but it's a distant second, with fewer than 25% the number of votes garnered by "That One Second" 

Curiously, in this survey on DCP from just last year, "Houdini" placed second among the Blue Stars' all-time best shows. But it appears that a show that "Houdini" beat in that ranking, "Where the Heart Is", will be the 2010s show that comes out ahead on this week's series of placement polls. Also, the winner in that 2018 ranking of Blue Stars shows was from the prior decade: "Le Tour" -- whose subtitle, amusingly, is "Every Second Counts."

Especially that one second!

• Like 1

1. 78th & Madison (Madison Scouts 2015)

2. Revolution (Boston Crusaders 2011)

3. Voice of Promise (Phantom Regiment 2016)

4. Rise (Boston Crusaders 2013)

5. The Once and Future Carpenter (Blue Stars 2018)

6. i (Blue Knights 2017)

7. Call of the Wild (Blue Stars 2019)

8. Houdini (Blue Stars 2010)

9. 15 Minutes of Fame (Cavaliers 2012)

10. That One Second (Blue Knights 2014)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

[...]

10. That One Second (Blue Knights 2014)

Interesting that most people's first choice is last on your list. Could you say what you didn't like about that show?

On 8/25/2019 at 1:53 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting that most people's first choice is last on your list. Could you say what you didn't like about that show?

Personally the narration didn't work for me, and I wasn't a huge fan of the props. I do want to rewatch it, though, as I felt like this year's show took a lot of the concepts I liked about 2014 and did (in my opinion) a better job with the parts I didn't like - I Remember Everything props that were visually more simplistic (mirrors rather than images) yet also more versatile and more engaging to me, and narration that didn't overpower the show as much. A lot of recent BK shows, 2014 and 2019 included, seem to be very much about a powerful emotional impact, and for whatever reason 2014 didn't connect with me as well as some others (specifically 2015 and 2019). I'm definitely going to watch it again soon though considering how strongly DCP seems to be suggesting that I should 🙂

• Thanks 1

None of these shows is an absolute stand-out for me, but I'm giving the edge to "That One Second" over "Houdini" and "Revolution".