I say.....the greatest "Concert" is............

Cavaliers - "Hall of the Mountain King"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Strawberry Soup (Scouts 83) was amazing"! One of the best thing I've ever heard on the firld!

Who wrote the origional? Was it Thad Jones?

Mark

Don Ellis...SoCal Dream TRIED to play in in '02...I don't remember a single bar of 4/4...mostly 3/4, 9/4 and other mutant time signatures. We could've pulled it off if 1) we weren't all fighting our memories of the Madison versions and 2) we had someone who could conduct the #### thing!

Ironically, the last park & bark section was my DM audition piece for Dream...worked like a charm, too!

Scott - first of all, don't you know who emcc is????? BTW, my guess as to the first non-concert corps was what you identified: '77 Bones. That's why I brought it up in the first place!!! We went Slav, solo, Quinlan, solo, exit medley/Russian without much of a break at all. [but then MikeD took the wind out of our sails with '72 Garfield. Oh well.]

And then you made that mistake about the Mucs '75 concert that another guy corrected. What's up? Still on an Allentown hangover??

Middle of the show tune...three or four drill sets...spaced out in terms of time. A chance to park & BLOW...and to feature the guard.

Jeff...GREAT choices...although I'd sub '83 Strawberry Soup for Waltz.

'Course, the best thing about Waltz was watching Shaun Owens peel out a triple Z -- calling dogs for MILES -- and not even loot like he was trying...one handed!

Yeah - I'll always remember the look of Shaun playing just about

any solo...he just had that confidence! Also, probably the most classic

look on a soloist's face....again, '83 "Soup" ...right towards the end

of the piece, it's Shaun and Ira Erenson trading licks. Ira nails this impossibly

long and high note and basically looks like he's gonna drift off to sleep!

Hilarious! I also found it quite humorous that by the time that guy

was around 19 he was almost completely bald. I heard that he was

constantly getting approached by DCI officials suspicious that he was

well over-age! On that 83 finals tape he looked like he was in his late 30s [:D]

My fave vid shot of Shaun??? At the end of the opening cadenza in 83 Soup...he just NAILS that last impossibly high note to the wall and happens to be looking toward the camera (probably because the cam was near the DM, I'd guess)...the look on his face is like "dude...I do this in my sleep!"

And a funny story 'bout Ira (thanks for the name...I've always wondered who he was) ...when I made BD in NOvember of '83, I ended up standing next to a guy who looked a LOT like him (except for the bald spot)...Andy Johnson was the name...I wasn't the ONLY one who thought he as Ira and had come from Scouts...although Tim Spilde in the alto line DID.

• 3 months later...

I'd have to agree that Legend of the one eyed sailor is one of the top concerts if not the top.

However, from experience One More Time Chuck Corea get's the crowd every time. I thought I might be biased being part of BD in 82 but when we did this tune in the 01 Renegades the response was huge. This was a building year for the Renegades but the crowd ate it up. Something very magical about that song that grabs the performers and the crowd and they just feed off eachother.

La Fiesta always left me cold as a sop it was all loud all the time. Sorry Sam.

Straberry Soup, awsome.

Mac Park, oh yeah.

Not surprised to see BD and Madison as masters of the concert, can you tell I like a jazz based in your face park and bark?

In the end I miss a good concert number but that's what victory concerts are for :)