Design Costs; To Much $$

On 8/23/2019 at 2:53 PM, Triple Forte said:

Hello all.

So I had a nice chat in between corps with my seat neighbor at dci finals. He was the one who told me that he spoke with someone on staff with one of the top 6 world class corps who  said it cost 30k to design and have their props built and 100k to care for and transport for the season.  That seems like a big Chunk of money 😮 .

Do corps restrict $ design and designers? If yes maybe they need to pull the reins in?   

Discuss away....

As in Formula One, the corps would take the restricted money from one aspect of the operation and spend it elsewhere to keep their advantage.

Perhaps a different approach would be helpful.  Instead of trying to limit the $$ corps spend props, it could be approached by limiting the # of semis they can bring into already congested lots.  Allow one semi for food truck, and one for equipment.  If you can’t fit it in your equipment truck, it’s out.  That would obviate the need to lease another truck, pay for driver and fuel, only to transport gargantuan building-sizes props that corps perceive will help them be more competitive.  Fewer vehicles on the road brings down cost and risk substantially, and helps at some venues where the parking lots are ridiculously overcrowded.  Watching the Cadets kids folding up those stairs every show wearing hard hats made me cringe...and not sure “the juice was worth the squeeze.”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Perhaps a different approach would be helpful.  Instead of trying to limit the $$ corps spend props, it could be approached by limiting the # of semis they can bring into already congested lots.  Allow one semi for food truck, and one for equipment.  If you can’t fit it in your equipment truck, it’s out.  That would obviate the need to lease another truck, pay for driver and fuel, only to transport gargantuan building-sizes props that corps perceive will help them be more competitive.  Fewer vehicles on the road brings down cost and risk substantially, and helps at some venues where the parking lots are ridiculously overcrowded.  Watching the Cadets kids folding up those stairs every show wearing hard hats made me cringe...and not sure “the juice was worth the squeeze.”

That would just clog the shoulder of the road nearest the lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, if corps deciding "we need to spend X more dollars" translates to DCI telling show sponsors: "you need to charge X more dollars", then that could be a problem if it drives down revenue.

Exactly. Keep in mind that the more semis corps bring to shows, the more parking lots DCI has to rent/buy, more show staff is needed, and the higher ticket costs go.

This is an important component to this discussion and should not be overlooked.

I have suggested that DCI shouldn't restrict budgets, but should restrict the amount of semis. Maybe every World Class corps is allowed 3 semis and that's it - no box trucks, no 27' trailers... that would be 'fair.' If the props need to ride with the ramen noodles, so be it... but the cost in the end for the entire activity would be monumentally lower.

Edited by Lead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lead said:

Exactly. Keep in mind that the more semis corps bring to shows, the more parking lots DCI has to rent/buy, more show staff is needed, and the higher ticket costs go.

This is an important component to this discussion and should not be overlooked.

I have suggested that DCI shouldn't restrict budgets, but should restrict the amount of semis. Maybe every World Class corps is allowed 3 semis and that's it - no box trucks, no 27' trailers... that would be 'fair.' If the props need to ride with the ramen noodles, so be it... but the cost in the end for the entire activity would be monumentally lower.

Except that if you can afford the props and the equipment to move them...

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That would just clog the shoulder of the road nearest the lot.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:19 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

This last season Madison did a no props show, which was well executed and enthusiastically received by the audience.  And they were rewarded with final score of 82.137, good enough for 17th place.  And they were 20th in visual analysis.  IDK whether the no props design decision was based on expense, but the data suggests that props are necessary to score well in the current scoring system.

the placement could also be due to the design being simplistic and the performance of it being sloppy, but I guess it could be the fact they didn't have props that made their scores so low.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

the placement could also be due to the design being simplistic and the performance of it being sloppy, but I guess it could be the fact they didn't have props that made their scores so low.

But if all corps follow the "no props" model,their scores would all be comparable.