Design Costs; To Much $$

I have a sense of what I think about props in general. But I think the reality is, corps that can afford massive props are also corps that can afford all the other things that make you competitively successful. It’s not just props.

If BD did a show with no props, I would still put money on them at least medaling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I have a sense of what I think about props in general. But I think the reality is, corps that can afford massive props are also corps that can afford all the other things that make you competitively successful. It’s not just props.

If BD did a show with no props, I would still put money on them at least medaling.

I would tend to agree. Now how LONG would they stay "competitive" (which is a term that seems to vary widely here,) if they did that multiple times....that may be another thing altogether. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would tend to agree. Now how LONG would they stay "competitive" (which is a term that seems to vary widely here,) if they did that multiple times....that may be another thing altogether. 

Or a prop-free BD, if they still do well, might push the activity in a "fewer props" direction. The follow-the-leader mindset that has been around in various incarnations for decades.

On the other hand... is it even possible for one corps to change the entire paradigm on anything anymore? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Or a prop-free BD, if they still do well, might push the activity in a "fewer props" direction. The follow-the-leader mindset that has been around in various incarnations for decades.

On the other hand... is it even possible for one corps to change the entire paradigm on anything anymore? 

Very true. As many have said, it runs in phases. It's like so many other things...what's old is new again. Even in my own little cottage industry side business, I sell a LOT more "old-school" 60's and 70's style pool cues than I do stuff with a zillion tiny inlays made 90% on the big CNC mill. You gotta go with what makes you successful. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

While not wanting to open a can of worms, but I think you (we) can look at Bluecoats 2014, 2015 and 2016 as changing how the DCI activities looked at the USE of Props and the USE of electronics.

Definitely good examples I would agree. I thought 2016 was a masterpiece in some ways. That show, IMHO, is still a showcase of design and easy to understand music that translates very well. If someone who had never seen DCI asked me what the difference between it and marching band is, I would probably pull that show out as one of the top 3 from a showcase perspective. There are certain shows that represent the best of what drum corps CAN be and for my part, they are spread out across several corps. For instance, 2010 PR for me captures emotion better than any show I've seen in 20 years. But that's just my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mjoakes said:

How about just letting the corps decide what’s too expensive for them.

because the corps money is extensively my money and the money of others like me who answer the requests for funding with the umpteen mailings, call-a-thons, march-a-thons, etc. We need to know (think "trust levels being diminished") that monies are being well spent. Corps don't have their own money, except for BD. Even BAC begs at the Financial Center. The monies for DCI drum corps budget is not from the tour dues, although Eleran substantiated elsewhere that performers were paying $1K per marching minute in 2019 to perform and push props.  DCI performance fees even for the best of corps does not cover today's costs for electronix and props. While my monies donated have gone down considerably due to decreasing income and savings, the principles expressed here are true for so many others. Arts people are known to be unrealistic with finances in their world of imagination and make-believe.  We are only asking them to think more realistically, intelligently, and with accountability. The corps need to be more transparent with their finances.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I doubted it until Down Side Up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I agree that corps should do whatever they want.  I also agree that when a corps makes a money beg I get to do whatever I want.  That means a lower placing corps that is raising funds for  equipment/transportation/instruction I pay attention.  And when a higher placing corps needs new chrome rims for the golf cart, fancy props, an extra truck for driving the props around the country side......I completely ignore them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

I agree that corps should do whatever they want.  I also agree that when a corps makes a money beg I get to do whatever I want.  That means a lower placing corps that is raising funds for  equipment/transportation/instruction I pay attention.  And when a higher placing corps needs new chrome rims for the golf cart, fancy props, an extra truck for driving the props around the country side......I completely ignore them.

Pretty much the same. Money, I donate to corps that need it to actually tour and give the members a life changing experience. Time, I try to donate to any corps in need that I can get to. 

• Like 1