Babs: The Music of a Funny Girl

With the popularity of Blue's Beatle's show, I wondered which other group or performer had a catalog with enough depth, challenging music and emotion to justify a complete drum corps show.  Admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of her music, but a show from the music of Barbara Streisand came to mind.  With a musical career of more than 60 years, she has a wealth of music from which to choose. What would your best "Babs" show repertoire be?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

For Pete's Sake who would ever do that?!

Streisand's repertoire is pretty similar to Burt Bacharach's music, in my opinion, and Blue Devils did a whole Bacharach show in 2011.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cowboy0324@gmail.com said:

With the popularity of Blue's Beatle's show, I wondered which other group or performer had a catalog with enough depth, challenging music and emotion to justify a complete drum corps show.  Admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of her music, but a show from the music of Barbara Streisand came to mind.  With a musical career of more than 60 years, she has a wealth of music from which to choose. What would your best "Babs" show repertoire be?  

I actually like the sounds of this 

some of the Yentle stuff could work woven in with Broadway classics - somewhere, favorite things etc 

We did her meledy of Pretty Women/Ladies Who Lunch for a closer in high school one year.  It was pretty ok.  The swells and phrases of Pretty Women were great to play.  

Does this mean we'd also need a competing Bette Midler show in the same season though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cowboy0324@gmail.com said:

With the popularity of Blue's Beatles show, I wondered which other group or performer had a catalog with enough depth, challenging music and emotion to justify a complete drum corps show.

There are plenty of pop and rock performers with enough material to fill out multiple shows.

One large Ohio competing marching band (who in 2017 had possibly the most visually appealing drill design of any band in the country, albeit they were far too sloppy) for many years devoted their entire contest show to just one rock or pop performer --I believe for a while they shared arrangements with the University of Arizona-- and were variously successful with Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Talking Heads, Tears for Fears, U2, The Who, and more, including the two that I liked the most: the Rolling Stones and Muse. (Although "Tom Sawyer" in the Rush show worked very well, too.)

The Rolling Stones show was three two-song medleys: 1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Paint It Black"; 2. "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Has Anybody Seen My Baby?"; and 3. "Fool to Cry" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want". (Anyone who's been following current events since 2016 will find an astonishing coincidence that a 2014 show starts and ends that way.) It was awesomely entertaining. Also that year they had the most unusual battery I've ever seen.

The Muse show was just three songs: (1) "Supremacy", (2) "United States of Eurasia"/"Collateral Damage", and (3) "Madness" It was even better! And the ballad in the middle, like the original, incorporated a Chopin nocturne.

I don't know Muse well, but it would be pretty easy to come up with at least two more complete corps/band shows based on just other Stones tunes and still have music left over.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

That said, right now I think my first choice for a one-artist sourced drum corps show would be Supertramp.

• Like 2