Babs: The Music of a Funny Girl

14 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

We definitely need more Michel Legrand in drum corps. BD explored a bit of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg but there’s so much more from that film that could be done. Not just music, the whole color palette as well. 

The film consists of almost nothing but music and color.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cowboy0324@gmail.com said:

With the popularity of Blue's Beatle's show, I wondered which other group or performer had a catalog with enough depth, challenging music and emotion to justify a complete drum corps show.  Admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of her music, but a show from the music of Barbara Streisand came to mind.  With a musical career of more than 60 years, she has a wealth of music from which to choose. What would your best "Babs" show repertoire be?  

I, for one, would have enjoyed a show on the empowerment of women last season based on "Babs" music more than what was presented by either Cadets, or PR.  (But not Crossmen.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Geez, I totally forgot.

I guess you lost your “Memories.” 😂

• Haha 4

The Bluecoats taught me this year not to dismiss anything too quickly as not useful on the field. Blackbird is one of my favorite Beatles, tunes, but I didn't think of it at all as a drum corps ballad until I first heard Blooo playing it.

Get together smart, creative drum corps folks - as the Bluecoats did - and I think they could make a lot of source material field worthy, including stuff from Babs.

• Like 4

I find this a real revelation:

" An interesting twist to this thread: those who are intrigued by this idea vs. those who are totally confused as to why anyone would put a Babs (or even worse, "who's that?") show on the field is a clear litmus test for who's gay and who's straight on DCP. "

Nobody told me about this litmus test when I arranged the 27th Lancers show in '86. It was based in it's entirety on Streisand's covers of Sondheim on the "Broadway" album:

Putting it Together, Ladies Who Lunch, Being Alive, Not While I'm Around...etc.

Who knew that sexual orientation was tied to a liking for great melodies?

Live and learn.

Edited by ironlips
accuracy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

I find this a real revelation:

" An interesting twist to this thread: those who are intrigued by this idea vs. those who are totally confused as to why anyone would put a Babs (or even worse, "who's that?") show on the field is a clear litmus test for who's gay and who's straight on DCP. "

Nobody told me about this litmus test when I arranged the 27th Lancers show in '86. It was based in it's entirety on Streisand's covers of Sondheim on the "Broadway" album:

Putting it Together, Ladies Who Lunch, Being Alive, Not While I'm Around...etc.

Who knew that gender identification was tied to a liking for great melodies?

Live and learn.

Heh.  Yeah those Sondheim covers have a lot going for them.  That's where the Pretty Women/Ladies who lunch arragement my high school did a year or so later came from.  

• Like 1