Babs: The Music of a Funny Girl

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah, they could blow.  I’ll never forget them at Whitewater. It was crazy time. 

Saw them at Finals in Philly.

That opening hit from a mile away on the back sideline... holy effing mackerel.

• Like 2

1984 27 closed with a tune from Yentl. No Matter What Happens? We definitely need more Michel Legrand in drum corps. BD explored a bit of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg but there’s so much more from that film that could be done. Not just music, the whole color palette as well. 

• Like 1

she didn't write much music, so i don't think it would work to frame a show featuring music she sang as "the music of barbra streisand". 

but yeah, the library of songs she has sung is vast enough to make good shows. 

i'm assuming a corps has done "don't rain on my parade", but i don't know.  i think that song has a lot of arrangement potential for brass. same with "put on your sunday clothes".  

An interesting twist to this thread: those who are intrigued by this idea vs. those who are totally confused as to why anyone would put a Babs (or even worse, "who's that?") show on the field is a clear litmus test for who's gay and who's straight on DCP.

Babs is before my time; millennial gays might prefer a Gaga compendium, although we as a people always pay respects to any of the Great Divas.

6 hours ago, Jake W. said:

An interesting twist to this thread: those who are intrigued by this idea vs. those who are totally confused as to why anyone would put a Babs (or even worse, "who's that?") show on the field is a clear litmus test for who's gay and who's straight on DCP.

Babs is before my time; millennial gays might prefer a Gaga compendium, although we as a people always pay respects to any of the Great Divas.

I’m assuming this is all meant sarcastically 

11 hours ago, Lance said:

i'm assuming a corps has done "Don't Rain on My Parade", but i don't know. I think that song has a lot of arrangement potential for brass. same with "put on your sunday clothes".  

Governaires concluded their 2013 season by asking who in the Annapolis audience had ever marched in the rain (a majority of hands went up), and then playing that song as their closer.

Per Drum Corps X, it's been played at least 20 times, but not in DCI for more than 30 years.