Babs: The Music of a Funny Girl

21 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

1984 27 closed with a tune from Yentl. No Matter What Happens? We definitely need more Michel Legrand in drum corps. BD explored a bit of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg but there’s so much more from that film that could be done. Not just music, the whole color palette as well. 

More Michel Legrand would be fine with me. He was absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

As others have stated, Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, Spirit of Atlanta, and others have explored Barbara Streisand. I love BD's intro in 1988. 

The answer to the OP's question is "YES," a corps can put on a great show of Barabra's music. Would love to see what BD could do with "The Broadway" album. The props and theater-like staging and performance principles that could be explored would be fantastic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

As others have stated, Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, Spirit of Atlanta, and others have explored Barbara Streisand. I love BD's intro in 1988. 

The answer to the OP's question is "YES," a corps can put on a great show of Barabra's music. Would love to see what BD could do with "The Broadway" album. The props and theater-like staging and performance principles that could be explored would be fantastic. 

Completely agree with you on all of that. And I will add this: the Babs closer and ending (Happy Days Are Here Again)  to that '88 BD show still remains as the most  unique ending to a show in my 55 years in this activity. What pressure for that lone soprano soloist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, denmum said:

Completely agree with you on all of that. And I will add this: the Babs closer and ending (Happy Days Are Here Again)  to that '88 BD show still remains as the most  unique ending to a show in my 55 years in this activity. What pressure for that lone soprano soloist.

Sorry about that. Now I am confusing BD's opener and closer. The closer was Since I Fell For You that had that unique ending. Not sure if that was a Babs song or not. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, denmum said:

Sorry about that. Now I am confusing BD's opener and closer. The closer was Since I Fell For You that had that unique ending. Not sure if that was a Babs song or not. 

Had to look it up but yes of course it is a Babs song. And typically-what a treatment she gives it.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:42 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

There are plenty of pop and rock performers with enough material to fill out multiple shows.

One large Ohio competing marching band (who in 2017 had possibly the most visually appealing drill design of any band in the country, albeit they were far too sloppy) for many years devoted their entire contest show to just one rock or pop performer --I believe for a while they shared arrangements with the University of Arizona-- and were variously successful with Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Talking Heads, Tears for Fears, U2, The Who, and more, including the two that I liked the most: the Rolling Stones and Muse. (Although "Tom Sawyer" in the Rush show worked very well, too.)

The Rolling Stones show was three two-song medleys: 1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Paint It Black"; 2. "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Has Anybody Seen My Baby?"; and 3. "Fool to Cry" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want". (Anyone who's been following current events since 2016 will find an astonishing coincidence that a 2014 show starts and ends that way.) It was awesomely entertaining. Also that year they had the most unusual battery I've ever seen.

The Muse show was just three songs: (1) "Supremacy", (2) "United States of Eurasia"/"Collateral Damage", and (3) "Madness" It was even better! And the ballad in the middle, like the original, incorporated a Chopin nocturne.

I don't know Muse well, but it would be pretty easy to come up with at least two more complete corps/band shows based on just other Stones tunes and still have music left over.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

That said, right now I think my first choice for a one-artist sourced drum corps show would be Supertramp.

That's Beavercreek HS and my daughter is in the band. The director at Arizona used to do the arrangements for the previous director at BHS. The current director has continued with music from the same genre. 

On 8/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

How about a show called "Screech:  The Music of Yoko Ono"?

On 8/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I prefer “Sick Cats:  The Music of Yoko Ono”. 

My guess would be that Yoko Ono probably considers herself such a great artist, she would never extend licensing rights to her music, so thankfully there would probably be no Yoko Ono show.

Reminds me of the old joke:

Did you hear the Beatles broke up? 

Why?

Yoko

oh, no.

• Haha 2

Just now, Tim K said:

My guess would be that Yoko Ono probably considers herself such a great artist, she would never extend licensing rights to her music, so thankfully there would probably be no Yoko Ono show.

Reminds me of the old joke:

Did you hear the Beatles broke up? 

Why?

Yoko

oh, no.

Remember the "Oh No!" sign VK put up just before the shark ate the fat lady?   That would work here as well.

• Haha 2