Cymbal Lines

I’m not one to typically follow the percussion section as close as others when watching performances but I’m always drawn to cymbal lines.  Curious which corps have one and those that don’t, what year was their last?

Was SCV the only Finalist corps in 2019 with one? 

I wonder why corps choose not to have cymbal lines. To me, a slightly smaller front ensemble is worth having more active members as part of the drill on the field - more GE opportunities with how to interact the cymbal line in the drill and within the rest of the battery. 

1 minute ago, chadwick said:

I’m not one to typically follow the percussion section as close as others when watching performances but I’m always drawn to cymbal lines.  Curious which corps have one and those that don’t, what year was their last?

Was SCV the only Finalist corps in 2019 with one? 

I wonder why corps choose not to have cymbal lines. To me, a slightly smaller front ensemble is worth having more active members as part of the drill on the field - more GE opportunities with how to interact the cymbal line in the drill and within the rest of the battery. 

I think that's correct. Spirit would have been the 2nd had they made it in. Cymbal lines started dying out quite a while ago. It runs in cycles if you think about it. We went from 10 snares to 7 and then back to 9. Tenors run in groups of 5 or 4. It really depends on the complexity of the front ensembles book. Now that we are layering electronics in with traditional mallet instruments and aux percussion, the front ensembles are growing. It's happening in both DCI and DCA. But if you love cymbal lines, look no further than WGI. 

7th Regiment's cymbal line was working it well in Open Class

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

7th Regiment's cymbal line was working it well in Open Class

I haven't looked at a lot of Open class yet this year. I usually watch all the World class stuff first and chew on it for a month and then go to Open class. 

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

You’re missing some great shows

I will DEFINITELY check them out. DCA show today which will determine seeding at Championships. SO I'll have a week to take a look see. 

No disrespect to cymbal players and I love cymbal lines in WGI.  I just don’t see a purpose in DCI.

When you’re a visual designer trying to make sure your every detail is covered, having 5 individuals taking someone’s eye or focus in random parts of the field because of cymbal visuals just doesn’t make sense.  It would be the same as if 5 euphonium players waved around their instruments 40% of the show.

They make sense in WGI in a more intimidate setting although they don’t get much musical credit typically.

• Like 2

You wait until the sousaphone lines start using glitter covers on the bells and waving them in high step!

• Haha 1

Being a brass guy the only corps that ever had cymbals on the field that I took notice to was Velvet Knights back in the day. Go back and take a look at what those cymbal players were wearing-they could have gone straight to Hooters and worked a shift after walking off the field.

• Haha 1