Cymbal Lines

1 hour ago, denmum said:

Being a brass guy the only corps that ever had cymbals on the field that I took notice to was Velvet Knights back in the day. Go back and take a look at what those cymbal players were wearing-they could have gone straight to Hooters and worked a shift after walking off the field.

They’d never get away with the sex cymbals now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

So very true LOL. What a fun corps to watch though though. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sex cymbals-I can't believe I did not come up with that. That is my kind of humor. Very good Terri. If your name would have been Hung I would have given you a  very well Hung.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was a long time ago.  

Agree on that. But this year was my 55th with this activity (been to finals 45 years) so I can relate to a long time ago.

• Like 1

I’m sure there have been countless other examples over the decades, but Madison ‘98 immediately came to mind when I saw this thread.

Just watched the vid for the first time in ages.

Thanks for the reminder👍

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So very true LOL. What a fun corps to watch though though. 

If VK were around today, I'd want them doing a show based entirely on viral meme music.  Can you imagine the audience participation on Baby Shark for a closer?  I mean, they could just unmothball the prop...

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

No disrespect to cymbal players and I love cymbal lines in WGI.  I just don’t see a purpose in DCI.

When you’re a visual designer trying to make sure your every detail is covered, having 5 individuals taking someone’s eye or focus in random parts of the field because of cymbal visuals just doesn’t make sense.  It would be the same as if 5 euphonium players waved around their instruments 40% of the show.

They make sense in WGI in a more intimidate setting although they don’t get much musical credit typically.

That depends on how and why a corps uses cymbals.

Cymbals, whether a corps uses a cymbal line or whether they are part of the pit, play a role musically, but they are used for visuals too. The SCV “V” formation is probably the best known example, but I can recall watching the PBS broadcast from 1976 and can recall Oakland Crusaders cymbals clashing at the opening which was a powerful effect. 

Where visuals are scored so differently today than 1976, I would wonder if the use of cymbals on the field is a visual first choice or a musical choice, especially where a corps can use members of the pit for cymbals. So if they are waving the cymbals for 40% of the show, it’s a deliberate choice and not a “we have to do something with them” choice.

3 hours ago, nsxanax said:

I’m sure there have been countless other examples over the decades, but Madison ‘98 immediately came to mind when I saw this thread.

Just watched the vid for the first time in ages.

Thanks for the reminder👍

I was on that 98 line

• Like 2

You partner, were a member of one bad@$$ line. 

Loved the closer!!