Cymbal Lines

I appreciate it. That was a fun summer. We had some wicked stuff in that closer. You saw a lot in the drum feature with "monkey walk/head chopper" but the stuff not shown on video....we were slinging them plates. 

I hate that cymbal lines have been phasing out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

That depends on how and why a corps uses cymbals.

Cymbals, whether a corps uses a cymbal line or whether they are part of the pit, play a role musically, but they are used for visuals too. The SCV “V” formation is probably the best known example, but I can recall watching the PBS broadcast from 1976 and can recall Oakland Crusaders cymbals clashing at the opening which was a powerful effect. 

Where visuals are scored so differently today than 1976, I would wonder if the use of cymbals on the field is a visual first choice or a musical choice, especially where a corps can use members of the pit for cymbals. So if they are waving the cymbals for 40% of the show, it’s a deliberate choice and not a “we have to do something with them” choice.

SCV should drop them too. They’re not noticed musically in DCI (or WGI) Unless it’s a feature. 

the slow death of a great voice with added visual importance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

You’re missing some great shows 

I'd be curious to find out if a lot of percussion folks started out marching cymbals in open class, got addicted, moved up the ranks in percussion, and possibly to world class, etc...  I know 7th Regiment advertises it as a gateway position with no experience necessary. 

Incidentally, one of the most memorable marching cymbal moments for me was watching a visual feature in 2016 during the Beck ballad “Wave”. At one moment they were the visual center stage and there was a feature where all the rest of the cymbals were around one cymbal. During the Wave song buildup, the center cymbal tossed their cymbal up in the air end over end and caught it. I remember holding my breath so many times that season because it was such an exposed moment. :ohmy: I kept picturing the cymbal coming down wrong, rolling around, making a huge racket and spoiling the moment  …but they always caught it.

Cymbal lines are great. Wish they were back in fashion. 

I thought political avatars were not allowed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, E3D said:

Cymbal lines are great. Wish they were back in fashion. 

Agreed. There's just something about the glow and flash from the lights that's still cool after all these years. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, E3D said:

I thought political avatars were not allowed. 

Sorry. I figured GIR was neutral enough since he’s always a part of the Irken invasion plans going wrong. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Sorry. I figured GIR was neutral enough since he’s always a part of the Irken invasion plans going wrong. 

Where is ZIM?

On 8/25/2019 at 11:25 AM, rmurrey74 said:

No disrespect to cymbal players and I love cymbal lines in WGI.  I just don’t see a purpose in DCI.

When you’re a visual designer trying to make sure your every detail is covered, having 5 individuals taking someone’s eye or focus in random parts of the field because of cymbal visuals just doesn’t make sense.  It would be the same as if 5 euphonium players waved around their instruments 40% of the show.

They make sense in WGI in a more intimidate setting although they don’t get much musical credit typically.

I have to disagree with you. Your idea that designers shouldn't focus on what 4-5 cymbal players do to create visuals should then just be applied to everything the rest of the battery does with the drum sticks.  Why not just let them play the music and not do all the other gestures they make with the drum sticks?  Cymbals create a lot of visual interest IMO. I'd rather see their action on the field versus more mallet players (I appreciate the front ensemble, don't get me wrong, I just think the size could be reduced so that a cymbal line on the field could be achieved).

I also initially asked what year corps stopped having a cymbal line.  Can anyone provide this insight?  Would be real curious to see when the last year was for Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, etc... had a cymbal line. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chadwick said:

I have to disagree with you. Your idea that designers shouldn't focus on what 4-5 cymbal players do to create visuals should then just be applied to everything the rest of the battery does with the drum sticks.  Why not just let them play the music and not do all the other gestures they make with the drum sticks?  Cymbals create a lot of visual interest IMO. I'd rather see their action on the field versus more mallet players (I appreciate the front ensemble, don't get me wrong, I just think the size could be reduced so that a cymbal line on the field could be achieved).

I also initially asked what year corps stopped having a cymbal line.  Can anyone provide this insight?  Would be real curious to see when the last year was for Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, etc... had a cymbal line. 

Because drumsticks aren’t big reflective pieces of metal.