Cymbal Lines

8 hours ago, E3D said:

Where is ZIM?

That's answered in the new Netflix movie.  No spoilers for others.

9 hours ago, chadwick said:

I also initially asked what year corps stopped having a cymbal line.  Can anyone provide this insight?  Would be real curious to see when the last year was for Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, etc... had a cymbal line. 

Last year for cymbals I could find. Blue Devils 1988. Cavaliers and Cadets 1992. Bluecoats 1997. Scouts got rid of cymbals after 2004, had a cym line in 2009 and then no line again until 2015. Appears plates are gine again with no 2019 line.

I don't really miss cymbal lines (sorry). 

They compete for attention with the multi-tenors, snares, basses, front ensemble, drum majors, props, sabers, rifles, flags, horns doing body movements on the left side, horns doing body movement on the right side, etc.  I understand some people love them but I am not sure one more visual element is needed.  

I am a big proponent of cymbal lines. SCV cymbals can keep you interest for the entire show. However I spent some time focusing on Spirit's cymbals they were a little sloppy I think they added some  good visual effect but they spent a lot of time kinda hanging out not really adding to drum line or doing anything visual I think they may have actually hurt their score.

8 hours ago, mfrontz said:

I'm intrigued that the thought is about visual. Wouldn't the idea be that since you've already got a set player and several keyboard players in the pit who can crash a cymbal when necessary, you can free up five or so spots for the hornline?

I get the point and I guess that works for corps that have a lot of people. For some if we eliminated the cymbal line we would just have five less people because we either dont have enough horns to give them, or if we did...they might not want to learn a brass instrument during the tour anyway.

OTOH if you corps is large, does adding 5 more horns improve anything? Isn't there diminishing returns when you reach a certain size? I don't really know, just asking...

2 hours ago, kkrepps said:

I get the point and I guess that works for corps that have a lot of people. For some if we eliminated the cymbal line we would just have five less people because we either dont have enough horns to give them, or if we did...they might not want to learn a brass instrument during the tour anyway.

OTOH if you corps is large, does adding 5 more horns improve anything? Isn't there diminishing returns when you reach a certain size? I don't really know, just asking...

Maybe its not horns. Maybe eliminating cymbal lines allows you to add five more percussionists in the pit, who can do multiple things, including crash cymbals. Or it could be a bigger guard. I think probably all or any of these things could be used to justify the decision.