Which is your favorite 5th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 5th place show of the decade?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 5th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Jagged Line (Bluecoats 2017)
    • Juliet (Phantom Regiment 2011)
    • Music of the Starry Night (Santa Clara Vanguard 2012)
    • Out of this World (Carolina Crown 2014)
    • Propaganda (Cavaliers 2016)
    • S.O.S. (Boston Crusaders 2018)
    • The Spark of Invention (Sana Clara Vanguard 2015)
    • …to look for America (Bluecoats 2013)
    • Toy Souldier (Cadets 2010)
    • The Wrong Side of the Tracks (Cavaliers 2019)

Toy Souldier was a good show as long as you ignored Li'l Geoffrey. Great playing and moving.

Unfortunately, even on DCI's high cam video on the DVD they gave him a close-up!

(Because he dropped the rifle in his big moment on Finals night, so they spliced in a clip from one of the earlier performances.)

• Like 2

I honked with Bluecoats 2013 as well. It was a show that just hinted at what was to come.

Also, as much as I loved Jagged Line, the ballad never quite worked as planned.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I honked with Bluecoats 2013 as well. It was a show that just hinted at what was to come.

Also, as much as I loved Jagged Line, the ballad never quite worked as planned.

That was my problem with 2017.  Great bookends.  Weak middle. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

I went with Cavies this year.  But realllllllllly hovered a long time over Crown.  Spark of Invention got a long look too.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

Let's see.

2010 Cadets- actually my favorite Cadets show of the decade. I just really love this show.

2011 Phantom- Although they got the bronze in 2012 I feel like this was the last truly great Phantom show. My husband listens to Elsa at least once a month

2012 SCV- beautifully done and extremely classy 

2013 Bluecoats- fantastic and underrated show. Easy to get lost in.

2014 Crown- I think this was one of the best hornlines of all time with one of the craziest brass books

2015 SCV- Big, bold opening punch, interesting use of pit instruments, lots of visuals with marching and great field coverage, fantastic ballad. Great from start to finish.

2016 Cavaliers- Big show with big message. I relate more to the general message of beware of propaganda and the govt...much like 1984 or V for Vendetta than the specifics. Hot mess at the beginning of the season that really came together in the end.

2017 Bluecoats- My favorite 2017 show by far (I voted for Boston 2017 yesterday). The opener and the closer were AMAZING. The ballad was okay...very pretty

2018 Boston Crusaders- visual and color guard monster with very fun ending

2019 Cavaliers- My husband's favorite of 2019. Powerful and fun from start to finish with probably one of the best hornlines the Cavies have ever had.

10 fantastic shows...tough to pick one but my vote goes to.......

2015 SCV

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

"Juliet", which looks likely to win this poll, is a very good show, but I felt like it was trying too hard to recreate the past, and that they never could quite figure out what they were trying to say. If your lead performer doesn't believe in what you're doing and changes the end of the show on Finals, then maybe it was never the right ending?

Bluecoats 2017 for me just slaps. I still can't get enough of it. Most seem split on the ballad, but even that I like about this show. 

Bloo 2013 has to be second for me, with Cavies 2019 and Crown 2014 being a tie for my third favorites. 

• Like 2