Which is your favorite 5th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 5th place show of the decade?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 5th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Jagged Line (Bluecoats 2017)
    • Juliet (Phantom Regiment 2011)
    • Music of the Starry Night (Santa Clara Vanguard 2012)
    • Out of this World (Carolina Crown 2014)
    • Propaganda (Cavaliers 2016)
    • S.O.S. (Boston Crusaders 2018)
    • The Spark of Invention (Sana Clara Vanguard 2015)
    • …to look for America (Bluecoats 2013)
    • Toy Souldier (Cadets 2010)
    • The Wrong Side of the Tracks (Cavaliers 2019)

In the ten years covered by the poll, I think just one DCI show (out of more than 400) has a title that starts with X, Y, or Z.

Obviously it's not one of these fifth-place show, but does anyone know what it is?

50 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In the ten years covered by the poll, I think just one DCI show (out of more than 400) has a title that starts with X, Y, or Z.

Obviously it's not one of these fifth-place show, but does anyone know what it is?

XtraordinarY (Cavaliers 2011:3rd place)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I know it's outside the 10 years, but the only one with Y i can think of is You Are My Star by the Boston Crusaders.

Seriously Only Show Stands Out Superior, So ..................ssssssssssssssss

SOS

• Like 2

Gotta agree with the onionhead. SOS is what made me a BAC fan after nearly 50 years. 

Bloo and Cavaliers were fabulous also.

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Like 2

My vote went to SCV 15 - yes it's kind of a honk vote (see sig) but so much of that show struck a chord with me - and yes, there are a LOT of good shows in this list.  Also really liked "Juliet" and "Music of the Starry Night"  (even though the tag add on felt a bit forced).  In the "subcaption" voting:  BC 17 over 13 and Cavies 19 over 16.

I have some interesting opinions that came to mind that I am looking forward to the next set of poll/rank and rate questions:  "Rank/Rate the Shows of the Decade:  XYZ Corps"

• Like 1

I'm a fifth-place kind of guy: a solid performer, gets the job done, can inspire. Probably why I love fifth place drum corps shows so much. I have for almost 50 years; including this past decade's competitive ascendent/descendent productions and shows. The best thing about fifth place -- fifteenth, twenty-fifth -- somebody loves them. The best part of being a fan: it's our prerogative to love what we do and wonder in fury or amazement how our personal favorites landed where they did.

Here are some of my fifth-place favorites; each one landed right where it should have: my heart.

The Kilties 1973 outing was my first time to steam at a corps' fifth-place ranking. What's not to love when you hear "Roundabout," the legendary "Eli's Comin'," and the corps' trademark "Auld Lang Syne"? I only saw the Troopers' championship runner-up show on film, so The Long Blue Line's '74 recanting of much of it would have to suffice. Fifth place.

Long-form musical arrangements got a mighty good early airing with the Blue Star's wonderful 1975 show that included the symphonic "Canzona," music by "Chicago," and Billy Joel's namesake, "The Legend of Billy the Kid."

"Spartacus," the first, 1981 Phantom Regiment. And not only in retrospect. Madison had quite a fifth-place run in the 80s with some of the corps' most adventurous choices: "Strawberry Soup," the "Colas Breugnon Overture," and music from the Broadway smash "Cats." (Hold that thought.)

The fifth-place eighties sported such signature shows as the original "Planets" by the Cavaliers in 1985 and its seminal "Firebird" in 1988. (Not that other, strange, gasping-for-air "Firebird" from 1997.) The signature sound of Suncoast Sound was on spectacular field-wide display with its highest placement for Stan Kenton's "Adventures in Time." (And that, just a year after its sixth-place original symphonic travelogue "Florida Suite.")

I have always thought that the Cadet's 1989 "Les Miz" was under-rated, but that was a tough year to stand out from the top two.

The Scouts again, 1993, with the exuberant "City of Angels," an approach that I thought the corps might take for a while: musical theater (See "Cats," above). Santa Clara's undulating "La Mer" should be on everyone's best list. Vanguard's "Ballet for Martha" was a fifth-place phenomenon in 2009, as was Boston's 2000 "RED."

Before I weigh in on this decade just past, I have to go ahead and put it out there: my personal favorite fifth-place show in DCI history. I watched it just a few minutes ago, as I pondered this post: "Imago" by the 2001 Glassmen. The extended solo that was woven throughout the show is pure brass hypnotism. Ahhh ...

So to the 2010's, and the stellar top-to-bottom fifth-place finishers. I'll top my list with:
Third/Fifth: The Cavaliers' "Wrong Side of the Tracks" 2019
Second/Fifth: Santa Clara Vanguard's "Music of the Starry Night" 2012
First/Fifth: Phantom Regiment's stunningly-dramatic "Juliet" 2011

See now, don't we all love us some fifth place drum corps?

Edited by BranchHill
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, gak27 said:

"Rank/Rate the Shows of the Decade:  XYZ Corps"

Great idea! I was thinking of this myself espicially with regard to Bluecoats and Crown. To some extent SCV too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePlanets said:

Great idea! I was thinking of this myself espicially with regard to Bluecoats and Crown. To some extent SCV too.

and PR.

I'm sure these will surface soon and, for some corps, generate some INTERESTING rankings and discussions...

• Like 1