Which is your favorite 5th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 5th place show of the decade?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 5th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Jagged Line (Bluecoats 2017)
    • Juliet (Phantom Regiment 2011)
    • Music of the Starry Night (Santa Clara Vanguard 2012)
    • Out of this World (Carolina Crown 2014)
    • Propaganda (Cavaliers 2016)
    • S.O.S. (Boston Crusaders 2018)
    • The Spark of Invention (Sana Clara Vanguard 2015)
    • …to look for America (Bluecoats 2013)
    • Toy Souldier (Cadets 2010)
    • The Wrong Side of the Tracks (Cavaliers 2019)

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Juliet", which looks likely to win this poll, is a very good show, but I felt like it was trying too hard to recreate the past, and that they never could quite figure out what they were trying to say. If your lead performer doesn't believe in what you're doing and changes the end of the show on Finals, then maybe it was never the right ending?

Help me out here... not familiar with this story. I was rather preoccupied in 2011.

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Toy Souldier was a good show as long as you ignored Li'l Geoffrey. Great playing and moving.

Unfortunately, even on DCI's high cam video on the DVD they gave him a close-up!

(Because he dropped the rifle in his big moment on Finals night, so they spliced in a clip from one of the earlier performances.)

I had high hopes for that show. Of course they ruined it with little Geoffrey. Their 2010 repertoire is some of the best music in the past 10 years of the 5th place shows. I just thought the show was going to have an almost Nutcracker type elegance to it. They instead turned it into a comedy. Procession of the Nobles was such a nice opener musically. 

A lot of really good shows in the 5th place position -- as you would expect. From an enjoyment perspective I rank them:

1. Out of this World (Carolina Crown 2014)
2. Juliet (Phantom Regiment 2011)
3. S.O.S. (Boston Crusaders 2018)
4. Jagged Line (Bluecoats 2017)

I loved Bloo's 2013 show as well. Their 2017 show definitely started out as a contender, but I never found the ballad appealing. I also thought they suffered from timing issues and some very poor electronic issues at Finals.  Boston's S.O.S. show was so complete and well done. The music book is fantastic! Juliet is classic Phantom.  But for me, Out of this World was AMAZING! What a brass line. The music was incredible. Loved the drill. Yes, the field was cluttered with a few unnecessary items (trampolines), but on Finals night this show rocked the house. Biggest ovation of the night. 

I will say that from a music perspective, The Cadets 2010 show was fantastic. Too bad they turned it into a shallow comedy. 

47 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:
A lot of really good shows in the 5th place position -- as you would expect. From an enjoyment perspective I rank them:

1. Out of this World (Carolina Crown 2014)
2. Juliet (Phantom Regiment 2011)
3. S.O.S. (Boston Crusaders 2018)
4. Jagged Line (Bluecoats 2017)

I loved Bloo's 2013 show as well. Their 2017 show definitely started out as a contender, but I never found the ballad appealing. I also thought they suffered from timing issues and some very poor electronic issues at Finals.  Boston's S.O.S. show was so complete and well done. The music book is fantastic! Juliet is classic Phantom.  But for me, Out of this World was AMAZING! What a brass line. The music was incredible. Loved the drill. Yes, the field was cluttered with a few unnecessary items (trampolines), but on Finals night this show rocked the house. Biggest ovation of the night. 

I will say that from a music perspective, The Cadets 2010 show was fantastic. Too bad they turned it into a shallow comedy. 

Out of this World was as advertised.

Not changing my vote though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Help me out here... not familiar with this story. I was rather preoccupied in 2011.

I didn't actually see the Finals performance as it happened, but my understanding is this: the show was designed to end with a moment of suspense: the Romeo character has died midfield, and the Juliet character runs to the front sideline where she holds a sword above her, deciding whether or not to take her own life. But on Finals night, apparently the member playing Juliet took it upon herself to drive the blade home -- but it's not on the video because no one on staff knew in advance to alert the camera crew that this would be happening.

Someone please correct me if I got that wrong.

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

"Put your bosom away!"

Youtube needs more clips from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum -- they're appropriate for so many situations.

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I had high hopes for that show. Of course they ruined it with little Geoffrey. Their 2010 repertoire is some of the best music in the past 10 years of the 5th place shows. I just thought the show was going to have an almost Nutcracker type elegance to it. They instead turned it into a comedy. Procession of the Nobles was such a nice opener musically. 

Elegance? In a GH-Designed show? Surely you jest?

Just now, Cappybara said:

Elegance? In a GH-Designed show? Surely you jest?

Well, over the past decade, the designers seemed to be aiming for elegance only to have him layer kitsch on top of it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, over the past decade, the designers seemed to be aiming for elegance only to have him layer kitsch on top of it.

"That is what he said..." :hmmm:

• Haha 1