Prelims schedule

4 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

I am confused why some of the open corps have to go on before some of the Class A corps.  doesn't seem fair to the Open corps who are competing with corps that go on after there is a two corps gap.

DCA did this last year as well, but not in prior years.

DCI forces Open Class corps to go on first in World Class Prelims, but then lets Prelims scores alone decide the order for World Class Semis.

As for whether or not it's fair: DCA Open Class corps who don't want to perform before DCA Class A corps ought to score better in the season, no?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

I am confused why some of the open corps have to go on before some of the Class A corps.  doesn't seem fair to the Open corps who are competing with corps that go on after there is a two corps gap.

seeded by score. same sheet regardless of Class, and judges can adjust numbers if they need to. We have had A class corps outscore open class corps several times

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

DCI forces Open Class corps to go on first in World Class Prelims, but then lets Prelims scores alone decide the order for World Class Semis.

As for whether or not it's fair: DCA Open Class corps who don't want to perform before DCA Class A corps ought to score better in the season, no?

judges can adjust numbers, so an early performance slot isn't the killer people presume

• Like 1

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

so can A class corps make open finals then?

3 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

Nope, corps declare what class they want to compete in before start of season. 

1 hour ago, bluecoats88 said:

No, but I don't see what difference that makes. Last year and this year, every Open Class corps in Prelims also appeared/will appear in Finals.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, based on Prelims score, a Class A corps can beat out an Open Class corps to become one of DCA's voting members in the following year.

Which reminds me of something curious that has nothing to do with classes: DCA gives the power to determine its voting membership...

...to a panel of judges making artistic evaluations.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Which reminds me of something curious that has nothing to do with classes: DCA gives the power to determine its voting membership...

Interesting. Until you posted this, I never thought of it that way.

Doesn't really matter for the six or seven, maybe eight, corps who are good enough to be pretty much slam-dunk "top 10 at prelims" every year... but to those corps on the bubble, so to speak...

Maybe, in case of a close call, a panel of accountants and actuaries could determine the voting membership based on a corps' fiscal stability. :tongue:

Just now, Fran Haring said:

Interesting. Until you posted this, I never thought of it that way.

Doesn't really matter for the six or seven, maybe eight, corps who are good enough to be pretty much slam-dunk "top 10 at prelims" every year... but to those corps on the bubble, so to speak...

Maybe, in case of a close call, a panel of accountants and actuaries could determine the voting membership based on a corps' fiscal stability. :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No, but I don't see what difference that makes. Last year and this year, every Open Class corps in Prelims also appeared/will appear in Finals.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, based on Prelims score, a Class A corps can beat out an Open Class corps to become one of DCA's voting members in the following year.

And my laughing face was I never thought of it that way either. Having been one of those bubble corps for at least 2 years I can just picture it.

Good news is we made top 10 in Open Class.

Bad news is we’re not a member of DCA because a Class A Corps has a higher score

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

- - - - - - - - - -

well...it is DCA....