U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

I love this story. Not that the band director was injured, but that he took a stand that you don’t break our ranks. We would have NEVER allowed it either back in the day, but is this a current attitude in drum corps? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I love this story. Not that the band director was injured, but that he took a stand that you don’t break our ranks. We would have NEVER allowed it either back in the day, but is this a current attitude in drum corps? 

I think the outcome here show you that it isn't worth it. I think you can ask people to wait until the unit has passed or to walk around but if they INSIST on cutting through it just isn't worth getting into a physical altercation over. If you think it is manly to rough someone up if they attempt to break ranks then I would venture to guess you really have no real comprehension of what it means to be a man at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I think the outcome here show you that it isn't worth it. I think you can ask people to wait until the unit has passed or to walk around but if they INSIST on cutting through it just isn't worth getting into a physical altercation over. If you think it is manly to rough someone up if they attempt to break ranks then I would venture to guess you really have no real comprehension of what it means to be a man at all.

Hmmm. I think you have no idea about the man's motivations or his understanding of manhood or his responsibility.

U of F spokesman said 'his first concern was for the students' safety.'

This doesn't appear to be an issue of 'unit identity' or 'toughness.' It appears to be someone responsible attempting to do his job and protect his students.

But neither of us were there, so...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Hmmm. I think you have no idea about the man's motivations or his understanding of manhood or his responsibility.

U of F spokesman said 'his first concern was for the students' safety.'

This doesn't appear to be an issue of 'unit identity' or 'toughness.' It appears to be someone responsible attempting to do his job and protect his students.

But neither of us were there, so...

I'm not talking about this particular incident. I don't for one moment think that this director instigated a physical altercation and was I'm sure just gently requesting that they go around or wait and was at that time assaulted.

I am more pointing out that the general public doesn't know about breaking rank nor do they care. I would tell my students to ask people to wait or go around but if they insist on breaking rank to just let go. It isn't worth getting in a physical altercation over. My guess is the  "old-timers" here will regale us with stories of how they beat the tar out of people for attempting to break rank. Do that today and you very well could find yourself shot....this isn't 1950.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Spatzzz said:

I'm not talking about this particular incident. I don't for one moment think that this director instigated a physical altercation and was I'm sure just gently requesting that they go around or wait and was at that time assaulted.

I am more pointing out that the general public doesn't know about breaking rank nor do they care. I would tell my students to ask people to wait or go around but if they insist on breaking rank to just let go. It isn't worth getting in a physical altercation over. My guess is the  "old-timers" here will regale us with stories of how they beat the tar out of people for attempting to break rank. Do that today and you very well could find yourself shot....this isn't 1950.

Fair enough.

You have to choose your battles and taking a stand against the occasional rank breaker (who has no idea that this is even a thing) is not one I would choose. Not excusing the assault, that is criminal, but talk about unneeded escalation. 

7 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

There's band and drum corps members that likely aren't aware either. No, "BITD" no one got the tar beat out of them. The MMs knew of the protocol and closed the gap in the ranks as soon as any breach was attempted. 

3 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

You have to choose your battles and taking a stand against the occasional rank breaker (who has no idea that this is even a thing) is not one I would choose. Not excusing the assault, that is criminal, but talk about unneeded escalation. 

Yes, but we know VERY little about the opposing fan in question, what her attitude was. We may not be talking about something innocent. I think we give the guy a pass for now, especially because he was assaulted, and agree that a person who innocently breaks ranks doesn't deserve a beat-down.

Then, there's this: 

tumblr_mrg905QyyZ1qm6v3vo1_500.jpg

• Haha 2