U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

My point is you never know what is going to happen so you have to be careful no matter the situation. Same reason NYC and DC puts up signs over holidays saying “if you see something, report something”. 

i understood your point, but it's completely insane to apply any of that to fricking college marching band. lol. 

can't wait to see more histrionics in this thread.  pretty normal for late august.  🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

i understood your point, but it's completely insane to apply any of that to fricking college marching band. lol. 

can't wait to see more histrionics in this thread.  pretty normal for late august.  🙂

Reread the post above from ibexpercussion, pretty much my thinking here.

Wife had a distant relative who was killed after a HS basketball game. He was from the other school and got a bottle broke over his head. It happens...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

I only learned not to break ranks when I came to march junior corps(it was never spoken about in HS band or College that I remember...but it was the late 80's...soooooo.) I wouldn't expect a person who has no experience with the "rule" to know it or understand it. Even at corps shows we would politely ask folks to walk around. I do remember at 2005 DCA (I want to say it was prelims) we (CV) were waiting on the Kilties to take the field and a group started walking towards their ranks and we simply politely asked them to walk around. They gave us an odd look (I'm guessing because they had no idea of what we were talking about,) but they did as we asked. 

The link clearly says the band was walking to the busses. Other accounts say marching. Though I have seen bands walk to busses in an informal way, if the band was clearly marching (which CNN is reporting), the woman in question and the attacker should have known it was not a group you walked through, plain and simple. However, I can see it all coming back on the band director. All the attacker has to say is “I thought she was being assaulted” and the band director will look like the aggressor. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lance said:

the setting we're talking about has nothing to do with the DoD or military, even tangentially.  zero. [...]

Lance, a brief off-topic digression: do you happen to remember when you changed your signature to read "I have seen the future of DCI, and it is WGI."?

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The link clearly says the band was walking to the busses. Other accounts say marching. Though I have seen bands walk to busses in an informal way, if the band was clearly marching (which CNN is reporting), the woman in question and the attacker should have known it was not a group you walked through, plain and simple. However, I can see it all coming back on the band director. All the attacker has to say is “I thought she was being assaulted” and the band director will look like the aggressor. 

Tim has anyone reported what the band director actually did? 

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Then, there's this: 

tumblr_mrg905QyyZ1qm6v3vo1_500.jpg

Thanks for that. While I remember reading about this Finals retreat tomfoolery, I don't recall ever seeing the picture before. Drum corps has a long history of tension between those people who believe certain formalities are worth observing and those who have some fun tweaking those formalities.

So many questions. Was the band just standing there “milling about smartly” waiting for things to get organized?  Were they on the move, marching to busses from the stadium?  Two very different situations. In the first case, yeah, whatever, you want to be a d*ck and walk through the band, which no one else is doing and you know you shouldn’t be doing either, but you’re gonna make a point?  Have a good time. In the second case, I don’t know how it would possible to pass through the ranks. She could get herself hurt. Different story. 

Then there’s the band director. He got put in a choke hold from behind and thrown to the ground. Whaaat?  And the next sentence of the story wasn’t - and was rescued by several band members not to mention band field assistants who separated the two?  Is it possible no one was aware of what was happening?  I’m not talking a bunch of macho crap. Just human nature. Hey, some drunken idiot just jumped our director. Let’s just watch it go down and not intervene? ... I don’t know. Just doesn’t seem plausible that the perp wouldn’t have been instinctively set upon by several band members and staff.  Seems like there’s information missing from this story. 

Edited by HockeyDad