U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

Just now, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, who still really cares about breaking ranks? Give it up already. It’s not the military, it’s marching band.

Sure that's one point of view, but the other point of view would be that not breaking ranks is in fact a longstanding tradition of many corps and bands. You could use the "who cares" argument about absolutely everything that a band or corps does.

3 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

'That's when the band director, Jay Watkins, said he put his arm out to stop her and when he did, another person grabbed him from behind in a choke hold and threw him to the pavement, Orlando said.'

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/26/us/university-of-florida-band-director-attack/index.html

Thank you... so much for “self defense” from person trying to walk thru... And band director since 2006 so not a newbie to this.

and band was marching back... why try to cut thru a moving group like that.... (if they were in motion at the time)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

link?

Try the Drudgereport. 

Thinking about this some more re: the nonchalant “whatever” reactions. It was night. Likely kinda dark. Band director feels a sense of responsibility for the safety of “his”students I’m sure. Last thing you need is a group of troublemakers targeting an easy target. And what easier target is there than kids in band uniforms. So yes, keeping the band together in formation so he knows they’re all accounted for is a priority. It’s a very good reason for trying to prevent people breaking through the ranks. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure that's one point of view, but the other point of view would be that not breaking ranks is in fact a longstanding tradition of many corps and bands. You could use the "who cares" argument about absolutely everything that a band or corps does.

Antiquated views of something that doesn’t fit the activity whether it be marching band or drum corps.  

Walking through the tunnels this year where all the corps were lined up for retreat is a great example.  No one cares about “breaking ranks” and everyone just gets along and doesn’t feel a need to fight each other like people hanging onto a loose military tradition from the past.

I marched in the 90’s when this was a huge deal and looking back at it, wow it was ridiculous. Who cares is right!

Edited by rmurrey74
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rmurrey74 said:

Antiquated views of something that doesn’t fit the activity whether it be marching band or drum corps.  

Walking through the tunnels this year where all the corps were lined up for retreat is a great example.  No one cares about “breaking ranks” and everyone just gets along and doesn’t feel a need to fight each other like people hanging onto a loose military tradition from the past.

So the story as reported suggests that it wasn't anyone in the Florida band who felt "a need to fight each other".

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I'm not talking about this particular incident. I don't for one moment think that this director instigated a physical altercation and was I'm sure just gently requesting that they go around or wait and was at that time assaulted.

I am more pointing out that the general public doesn't know about breaking rank nor do they care. I would tell my students to ask people to wait or go around but if they insist on breaking rank to just let go. It isn't worth getting in a physical altercation over. My guess is the  "old-timers" here will regale us with stories of how they beat the tar out of people for attempting to break rank. Do that today and you very well could find yourself shot....this isn't 1950.

Hey next time try breaking ranks on the USMC at any parade you go to. The old timers wont have to do or say anything. :whistle:

So we’re at the “safety issue” vs “don’t break ranks” as the cause eh... (getting popcorn)

38 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, who still really cares about breaking ranks?  Give it up already. It’s not the military, it’s  marching band .

I agree it is not about breaking ranks, it’s about common courtesy and common sense. Both dictate that if a group is marching, you do not interrupt. It has nothing to do with drum corps etiquette, whether that extends to marching bands, old school v. today. The fact that common sense and common courtesy match is coincidence. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1