U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

1 minute ago, BigW said:

It is. You must also think it would be okay to cut through a line of the Commondant's  Own while they're going from point A to point B. You know, I have even less respect for you now. I'll consider your comments 'fighting words'. You're a bully looking for a fight. I won't put up with the likes of you anymore. the line's been drawn, pal.

On base and especially in schools like School of Infantry or MSG school, we would knock other marines on their a@@'s if they even looked like they were going to try to break ranks. If we were drilling on the parade deck for things like NCO school or platoon CG inspections - their is no chance in hell someone would even try it. LOL. 

Boston Crusaders when I marched was similar. There was NO chance someone could get through the ranks. Good luck , almost inevitably someone would try and usually they would be told NO and to go around. Sometimes other things had to be done. "MAN" stuff, but actually the freaking color guard were more ruthless and that was all Female back then. Yeah Dino alert. 

• Haha 1

Just now, BigW said:

It is. You must also think it would be okay to cut through a line of the Commondant's  Own while they're going from point A to point B. You know, I have even less respect for you now. I'll consider your comments 'fighting words'. You're a bully looking for a fight. I won't put up with the likes of you anymore. the line's been drawn, pal.

You are all over the road now. For one I wouldn't do it but I've seen people break between say an open space from the drum-line and the horn-line even to them. You know what they DIDN'T do? They didn't get physical or even acknowledge it happened.  They try to keep their ranks close so it doesn't happen but sometimes it is unavoidable. You know why they didn't freak out and beat people up over that? Because they are professionals and not some two-bit loser with anger issues.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

This entire thread is in desperate need of a good old-fashioned “Lighten up, Francis...”

Then again, leave it to DCP. It never disappoints when it comes to blowing things out of proportion.

or 

Phone's ringing Dude. 

4 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

You are all over the road now. For one I wouldn't do it but I've seen people break between say an open space from the drum-line and the horn-line even to them. You know what they DIDN'T do? They didn't get physical or even acknowledge it happened.  They try to keep their ranks close so it doesn't happen but sometimes it is unavoidable. You know why they didn't freak out and beat people up over that? Because they are professionals and not some two-bit loser with anger issues.

two-bit or one? That might make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

Ok....when you say back in "my day" I assume (and I think correctly) that you would attempt to be a hard-azz about breaking ranks with people because somehow that made you cool I guess? 

It isn't worth it, it's just band. Ask them politely to wait or go around. If they insist then don't get physical. Again it's just band you are not going to save the world from imminent disaster by keeping some ya-hoo from breaking ranks.

Although it may be hard to tell today Drum Corps emanated from the military, not Broadway. As such, our attitudes and manners reflected it.  If someone tried to break our rank we told them not to and the vast majority respected.  Those that didn’t regretted their choice especially if they did it to our rifle line. It didn’t make us “tough”, “bad-azz”, or anything like that.  It’s just who we were.

If it’s no longer a “thing” in 2019, I get it. No judgment from me as I admire and respect the current marching members and their talent. 

greg_orangecounty

From the Orlando Sentinel -

”Dr. Watkins described the incident as an unknown female attempted to push her way through the marching band from the back of the column, battering several of the band members as she went.”

Just now, HockeyDad said:

From the Orlando Sentinel -

”Dr. Watkins described the incident as an unknown female attempted to push her way through the marching band from the back of the column, battering several of the band members as she went.”

Then he had every right to ask her to go around and/or confront her. The physical altercation was initiated by her.

That doesn't mean that if someone innocently tries to break rank because they don't understand that is even a thing that you have free rein to clock them like some here think. 

• Like 2

Just thinking this would not have ended well for anyone getting physical with my alumni type corps when I marched. One college ager taking martial arts (maybe 2 not sure), one lady who was military police when she was doing AF National Guard. And the guy who marched next to me... retired police Sargent with Gettysburg PD.

6 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

You have to choose your battles and taking a stand against the occasional rank breaker (who has no idea that this is even a thing) is not one I would choose. Not excusing the assault, that is criminal, but talk about unneeded escalation. 

Too bad there are no videos of people breaking BAC or Blessed Sac ranks in the 60's

• Like 1