U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I have one question:

If it had been the football team (either one) moving (they obviously don't march) back to their locker room, and a drunken fan of the opposite team plowed "through the ranks" with obvious disdain, would she have made it through without a player or coach attempting to stop him/her?

A band, like a football team, is a cohesive unit and common courtesy, regardless of one's team affiliation, dictates respect to the units from the opposing school.

The infiltrator should have been thrown to the ground, pummelled with instruments, mallets, and sticks then stomped on by every member able until the band had passed.  That would have made a better story than another wimpy band director gets pummeled by a 98-pound weakling... (and probably caused more legal fireworks, too).

The disrespect for "the band" is so old, and so tiring.

Well, there are a couple posters in this thread who call such an attitude Neanderthal. It’s just band, after all. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Since people refuse to actually read what I've written with any semblance of comprehension I'll restate it agin.

If someone that is oblivious that breaking ranks is even a thing and attempts to walk through a simple "please wait or walk around" usually works. If they continue it isn't worth getting into a physical altercation over.

If someone is being physical and belligerent when walking through and assaulting members then defending oneself and the group is ok.

Seeing the reaction by the old pharts brigade I can see exactly how and why the activity sunk into issues with member miss-treatment. The level of faux machoism and fake tough guy attitudes were pervasive back in the day to the detriment of the wellbeing of the members. 

Keep working that angle. It allows you to smugly look down your nose on old people. However, your strawman is false. This was no innocent mistake. A physical altercation was started by a member of the crowd. But go ahead and keep ignoring the reality of the situation so you can push your narrative. Continue to argue this was something it was not. It was not a laboratory setting where someone accidentally without knowing weaved gently into the band and therefore didn’t deserve a macho response. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Since people refuse to actually read what I've written with any semblance of comprehension I'll restate it agin.

If someone that is oblivious that breaking ranks is even a thing and attempts to walk through a simple "please wait or walk around" usually works. If they continue it isn't worth getting into a physical altercation over.

If someone is being physical and belligerent when walking through and assaulting members then defending oneself and the group is ok.

Seeing the reaction by the old pharts brigade I can see exactly how and why the activity sunk into issues with member miss-treatment. The level of faux machoism and fake tough guy attitudes were pervasive back in the day to the detriment of the wellbeing of the members. 

I'll paraphrase an old sage:

"The older you get, the smarter the Old Pharts Brigade gets."

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Keep working that angle. It allows you to smugly look down your nose on old people. However, your strawman is false. This was no innocent mistake. A physical altercation was started by a member of the crowd. But go ahead and keep ignoring the reality of the situation so you can push your narrative. Continue to argue this was something it was not. It was not a laboratory setting where someone accidentally without knowing weaved gently into the band and therefore didn’t deserve a macho response. 

What straw-man? I have over and over again stated the same thing. I even stated that the original article DID NOT provide detail around to exact actions of the person cutting in line and have over and over again separated this particular incident from the generic "rank breaking" issue as a whole. You seem to just want to argue because, well I don't know why I guess being aggressive and argumentative is in your nature.

I'll say it over and over and I don't give a flip what you or the rest of you old pharts say. If someone is attempting to break rank and it is obvious they are not being malicious about it or have a clue that it is wrong it IS NOT NOR SHOULD IT EVER BE a reason for people to get physical. If you think otherwise you are part of the problem.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Me I'm laughing my a@@ off. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, there are a couple posters in this thread who call such an attitude Neanderthal. It’s just band, after all. 

Come on man "its just Band" BRAH

3 minutes ago, E3D said:

Come on man "its just Band" BRAH

When you're saying stuff like this about someone breaking ranks, then yes, it's Neanderthal. 

"Sometimes other things had to be done. "MAN" stuff"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

When you're saying stuff like this about someone breaking ranks, then yes, it's Neanderthal. 

"Sometimes other things had to be done. "MAN" stuff"

I'ts just Band brah relax. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

What straw-man? I have over and over again stated the same thing. I even stated that the original article DID NOT provide detail around to exact actions of the person cutting in line and have over and over again separated this particular incident from the generic "rank breaking" issue as a whole. You seem to just want to argue because, well I don't know why I guess being aggressive and argumentative is in your nature.

From my viewpoint you keep wanting to talk about generic rank breaking and HD keeps wanting to talk about the specific incident which did involve physical contact...

and never the Twain shall meet

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

From my viewpoint you keep wanting to talk about generic rank breaking and HD keeps wanting to talk about the specific incident which did involve physical contact...

and never the Twain shall meet

I've actually written about both especially after the news came out that the incident in FL did include the perp being the aggressor. I guess you read and comprehend what you want to hear and dismiss things that don't fit your narrative. 

• Sad 1