U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

6 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I'm not talking about this particular incident. I don't for one moment think that this director instigated a physical altercation and was I'm sure just gently requesting that they go around or wait and was at that time assaulted.

I am more pointing out that the general public doesn't know about breaking rank nor do they care. I would tell my students to ask people to wait or go around but if they insist on breaking rank to just let go. It isn't worth getting in a physical altercation over. My guess is the  "old-timers" here will regale us with stories of how they beat the tar out of people for attempting to break rank. Do that today and you very well could find yourself shot....this isn't 1950.

Just want to point out that I called this very early in this thread....you people didn't disappoint....lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

Then he had every right to ask her to go around and/or confront her. The physical altercation was initiated by her.

That doesn't mean that if someone innocently tries to break rank because they don't understand that is even a thing that you have free rein to clock them like some here think. 

Well, since the title of this thread is about the Florida band director, that’s I’m talking about. Your first paragraph.  I don’t have any interest in talking hypotheticals i.e. your second paragraph. There was nothing innocent about it. 

Just now, HockeyDad said:

Well, since the title of this thread is about the Florida band director, that’s I’m talking about. Your first paragraph.  I don’t have any interest in talking hypotheticals i.e. your second paragraph. There was nothing innocent about it. 

The initial story I read just said he tried to stop her from going through the band. Full stop. It did not elaborate on her actions other than to state she tried to go through the band. The information about her striking band members was not included. But whatever...

• Like 1

Catching up on threads after a long day. 

I'd like to nominate this for the "Most Off Season Thread of the 2019/2020 off season"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Catching up on threads after a long day. 

I'd like to nominate this for the "Most Off Season Thread of the 2019/2020 off season"

Parts of it yeah... I’ll let someone with more knowledge start a new thread or respond but the safety issue affects corps too. IIRC a corps and/or a corps director (Royer?) had problems with a street gang when DCI was in Miami. Good bit more than trying to cut thru but still safety problem when out in public

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Parts of it yeah... I’ll let someone with more knowledge start a new thread or respond but the safety issue affects corps too. IIRC a corps and/or a corps director (Royer?) had problems with a street gang when DCI was in Miami. Good bit more than trying to cut thru but still safety problem when out in public

So what’s so funny about it rmurrey74? 

Googled and Gale Royer was “roughed up” at Miami at 1983 DCI... yeah hilarious enough to give both posts a laughing face but you don’t have  guts to say why you think someone getting mugged is funny... Reflects on you and nobody else...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yup your are correct. 

The gang issues in Miami for DCI back then was real and well known with the folks who don't want to deny the facts. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So what’s so funny about it rmurrey74? 

Googled and Gale Royer was “roughed up” at Miami at 1983 DCI... yeah hilarious enough to give both posts a laughing face but you don’t have  guts to say why you think someone getting mugged is funny... Reflects on you and nobody else...

No reason for them to be laughing except to try and cause ya to be what the kids these days call triggered. Probably they ran out of safety spaces at the local safety pin club? LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, E3D said:

No reason for them to be laughing except to try and cause ya to be what the kids these days call triggered. Probably they ran out of safety spaces at the local safety pin club? LOL

Too old and more important things to worry about to be triggered. Point out stupid stuff yep.... be triggered nope...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Obnoxious. Idiotic. Rude. And you expect me to show you respect in return. Spazz for certain. Rank breaking is in essence the same thing as any of these issues. Any of them. Period.  Okay? Bust through a line, throw the egg, chuck keys down a tuba bell, it's the same. Period. Get it, or are you that much of a spazz?

Good lord you're a drama queen, giving poppycock a run for their money 

• Haha 5