U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

3 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Just want to point out that I called this very early in this thread....you people didn't disappoint....lol

It's always very predictable with 'em

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think Poppycock has left us until spring.

Now I’ll just slink back into my corner and watch. 

I will be leaving until the spring soon enough too. I usually stick around until the end of August/mid September and then surface back around Late may/early June 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I will be leaving until the spring soon enough too. I usually stick around until the end of August/mid September and then surface back around Late may/early June 

I like to stick around to see the staff changes.  Then I’ll probably hibernate for the winter.  

12 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

There's band and drum corps members that likely aren't aware either. No, "BITD" no one got the tar beat out of them. The MMs knew of the protocol and closed the gap in the ranks as soon as any breach was attempted. 

well no there were a few instances of people getting pummeled. i witnessed one

11 hours ago, Lance said:

the setting we're talking about has nothing to do with the DoD or military, even tangentially.  zero. 

not breaking ranks in the military is something that we all learn the first day of basic.  i was in the marine corps, and all of my relative were army.  same for them.  no idea if it's true for navy/af/cg.  

at any rate, nobody from a different platoon or company would dream of breaking ranks in the marines because we all knew better. if they did try, it was an obvious sign of disrespect. even though i think it's really idiotic for people in a marching band to get worked up about it, if it's something that all members of the marching community know about, then they're in in the same boat. 

but, if it was a civilian who has no clue what it even means to break ranks, we would politely ask them not to pass through our ranks if they tried. happened more than you would think, but we were a ceremonial unit who did a lot of interacting with civilians. 

absolutely no reason to make an issue of it.

i didn't read this article, but if the university marching band staff member was a jerk about it, then he's a moron.  if it was drunks who got belligerent after being asked to go around, then that's a different story, of course. 

I witnessed fans from a major school...we'll say it rhymes with Johio Plate....throw things at Penn States band, push thru the ranks and try to kick instruments as the band marched out of the stadium. Idiots are idiots, and i for one respect a director for trying to protect their kids. It's not like the director hit or kicked anyone like happened to him.I too have seen idiot fans at HS football games, and made sure to put myself between idiots and the kids. Luckily nothing got too ugly, but I'll admit to pushing back people pawing at kids, especially younger ones

7 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

This entire thread is in desperate need of a good old-fashioned “Lighten up, Francis...”

Then again, leave it to DCP. It never disappoints when it comes to blowing things out of proportion.

shh he's on a roll

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

thanks for the warning

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Yikes!  What happened to the Cavi dude?  I assumed he passed out (on his own)?

nah. He was being stupid. Many people here thought at the time he was lucky to not get a foot to the chops laying there like that.

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

What year was that?  I can’t remember. 

think it was 2008? the samurai year where the cavies were wandering around in block committing seppuku on themselves during retreat.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

From the Orlando Sentinel -

”Dr. Watkins described the incident as an unknown female attempted to push her way through the marching band from the back of the column, battering several of the band members as she went.”

Well I’ve gotten laughing (at you) faces for pointing this out but will say it again. With all the craziness going on today people need to be.more aware of what’s going on around them. That’s why DC and NYC have the “if you see something, report it” message signs during the big holidays. Band director was aware and tried to stop this person from going thru because of the safety issue. But some here think he should not have worried because it’s “just band”. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1