U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Tim has anyone reported what the band director actually did? 

According to CNN, the band director put his arm out to stop her, and someone from behind the director attacked him. I’d share the link, but it never seems to work for me.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, who still really cares about breaking ranks?  Give it up already. It’s not the military, it’s  marching band .

wow, who still really cares about marching around on a football field? Give it up already. :lol:

• Haha 1

It's a safety and respect issue. I read the article and am glad someone brought it up. Might be that U Florida needs uniformed security around the band as it moves to make a point. A strong one.

Kid from rival HS stood in front of our post performance block and wouldn't move as we came off the field marching to the stands. he was in our way... more in my way, my bud Andy yells "HIT HIM!", he kept standing there are I reached him, I threw a hard left elbow knocking him into our block. Easy to do, we used a drag/suitcase carry off the field. He bounced like a Pachinko ball inside that parade block as everyone who could got a hard shot in. Dad and a couple of the Dads who normally kept things secure saw and ran over, and when they saw that kind barely able to stand and stagger away when he escaped... they felt they didn't need to have a talk with him. 

Respect the line, respect the block. Stay clear. :wink:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I'm not talking about this particular incident. I don't for one moment think that this director instigated a physical altercation and was I'm sure just gently requesting that they go around or wait and was at that time assaulted.

I am more pointing out that the general public doesn't know about breaking rank nor do they care. I would tell my students to ask people to wait or go around but if they insist on breaking rank to just let go. It isn't worth getting in a physical altercation over. My guess is the  "old-timers" here will regale us with stories of how they beat the tar out of people for attempting to break rank. Do that today and you very well could find yourself shot....this isn't 1950.

"you very well could find yourself shot" at any mardi gras parade even along south claiborn / napolean / st. charles. and thats not even over breaking ranks.

20 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So the story as reported suggests that it wasn't anyone in the Florida band who felt "a need to fight each other".

Yeah seems like someone other than the Florida Band were testing it. 

4 minutes ago, E3D said:

"you very well could find yourself shot" at any mardi gras parade even along south claiborn / napolean / st. charles. and thats not even over breaking ranks.

Yep and up in the “safer” northeast we were getting eggs and such thrown at us during night Halloween parades. Lucky us two of the three parades were in our sister/rival schools area. That was 40+ years back so cringe what goes on now (if the band even goes there anymore). 

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep and up in the “safer” northeast we were getting eggs and such thrown at us during night Halloween parades. Lucky us two of the three parades were in our sister/rival schools area. That was 40+ years back so cringe what goes on now (if the band even goes there anymore). 

A ton of parades no longer have band participation for those reasons you mention and what I posted. 

It is a shame because many kids get hooked by seeing marching bands in parades. I am sure it is not a huge number but kids are impressed when the band goes by. 

AND back onto the topic of breaking ranks,,,,,,,, I have never seen anyone try to break this marching bands ranks. :whistle::peek:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Antiquated views of something that doesn’t fit the activity whether it be marching band or drum corps.  

Walking through the tunnels this year where all the corps were lined up for retreat is a great example.  No one cares about “breaking ranks” and everyone just gets along and doesn’t feel a need to fight each other like people hanging onto a loose military tradition from the past.

I marched in the 90’s when this was a huge deal and looking back at it, wow it was ridiculous. Who cares is right!

A story I read says the person was pushing her way through the band. Not a simple weaving in and out. Sounds like the person was getting intentionally physical. I don’t see that this has anything at all to do with the concept of “breaking ranks”.  

• Haha 1

Here's my official position in regards to any dumbsh*t that involves the state of Florida or its citizens: 

tenor.gif?itemid=4981592

There's a reason why the term "Florida Man" is a meme. Good lord, there's a band marching through. Just do the reasonable thing and DONT walk through them, common sense. Would you try to squeeze through the tracks if a train was passing by? 

Hope the people there evacuate the coastal areas soon, it'll be underwater soon enough. 

35 minutes ago, BigW said:

It's a safety and respect issue. I read the article and am glad someone brought it up. Might be that U Florida needs uniformed security around the band as it moves to make a point. A strong one.

Kid from rival HS stood in front of our post performance block and wouldn't move as we came off the field marching to the stands. he was in our way... more in my way, my bud Andy yells "HIT HIM!", he kept standing there are I reached him, I threw a hard left elbow knocking him into our block. Easy to do, we used a drag/suitcase carry off the field. He bounced like a Pachinko ball inside that parade block as everyone who could got a hard shot in. Dad and a couple of the Dads who normally kept things secure saw and ran over, and when they saw that kind barely able to stand and stagger away when he escaped... they felt they didn't need to have a talk with him. 

Respect the line, respect the block. Stay clear. :wink:

Wow, you must be proud for elbowing that kid for not moving away from a marching band!!  

• Like 1