U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

39 minutes ago, BigW said:

It's a safety and respect issue. I read the article and am glad someone brought it up. Might be that U Florida needs uniformed security around the band as it moves to make a point. A strong one.

Kid from rival HS stood in front of our post performance block and wouldn't move as we came off the field marching to the stands. he was in our way... more in my way, my bud Andy yells "HIT HIM!", he kept standing there are I reached him, I threw a hard left elbow knocking him into our block. Easy to do, we used a drag/suitcase carry off the field. He bounced like a Pachinko ball inside that parade block as everyone who could got a hard shot in. Dad and a couple of the Dads who normally kept things secure saw and ran over, and when they saw that kind barely able to stand and stagger away when he escaped... they felt they didn't need to have a talk with him. 

Respect the line, respect the block. Stay clear. :wink:

This is just stupid. This type of attitude is dumb.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I think the outcome here show you that it isn't worth it. I think you can ask people to wait until the unit has passed or to walk around but if they INSIST on cutting through it just isn't worth getting into a physical altercation over. If you think it is manly to rough someone up if they attempt to break ranks then I would venture to guess you really have no real comprehension of what it means to be a man at all.

Hey Spatzzz,

I asked a very simple question. Although mini lectures from anonymous message board posters on what it means to be a “man” are always welcome, if you must know, the biggest threat to rank breakers in our corps came from our (all female) color guard.

gregorangecounty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Hey Spatzzz,

I asked a very simple question. Although mini lectures from anonymous message board posters on what it means to be a “man” are always welcome, if you must know, the biggest threat to rank breakers in our corps came from our (all female) color guard.

gregorangecounty

Ok....when you say back in "my day" I assume (and I think correctly) that you would attempt to be a hard-azz about breaking ranks with people because somehow that made you cool I guess? 

It isn't worth it, it's just band. Ask them politely to wait or go around. If they insist then don't get physical. Again it's just band you are not going to save the world from imminent disaster by keeping some ya-hoo from breaking ranks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Yes, but we know VERY little about the opposing fan in question, what her attitude was. We may not be talking about something innocent. I think we give the guy a pass for now, especially because he was assaulted, and agree that a person who innocently breaks ranks doesn't deserve a beat-down.

Then, there's this: 

tumblr_mrg905QyyZ1qm6v3vo1_500.jpg

Yikes!  What happened to the Cavi dude?  I assumed he passed out (on his own)?

44 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

This is just stupid. This type of attitude is dumb.

Your response is Dumber. Really, cut though a line? Do you shove and cut through people all the time and expect everyone to respect your manners? Obviously, you're a pretty callous, mannerless, and utterly disrespectful individual by nature. Good luck when someone shoves you back when you shove your way past someone in the Wal-Mart. Are you the guy who shoved the director or just a U-Miami fan? That might explain it too.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, you must be proud for elbowing that kid for not moving away from a marching band!!  

Okay, clown. He stood there deliberately not moving for over 30 seconds as we approached. he could have moved.. He wanted us to move around him. He kept standing in front of the block as it approached. He had it coming. Yeah, our whole band was pretty amused at dealing with it. You wanted the band parents to goon the kid instead? That's what also would have happened.

We had people stick cigarette butts on member's necks during this period. We had taunts and outright threats to members at games. We had people throwing coins and eggs at us in parades. Okies? We didn't take kindly to it, and we got back at these clowns when we could.

You a U-Miami fan too? Or did you live in a sheltered bubble all of your life where people didn't act like grade A jerks to you? Hmmm? There comes a time when one takes only so much, and obviously you've never been there.

• Haha 1

Just now, BigW said:

Your response is Dumber. Really, cut though a line? Do you shove and cut through people all the time and expect everyone to respect your manners? Obviously, you're a pretty callous, mannerless, and utterly disrespectful individual by nature. Good luck when someone shoves you back when you shove your way past someone in the Wal-Mart. Are you the guy who shoved the director or just a U-Miami fan? That might explain it too.

I don't do that at all nor would I ever do that nor did I ever say that was ok. I did say which I see you either can't comprehend or don't understand is that getting PHYSICAL to stop someone from breaking ranks is dumb. I have said I think 3 times now in this thread you ask them to please wait or go around. If they insist you just let it go. It's just band.

And based on your chosen screen name BigW and attitude I'm guessing you are overcompensating for some shortcoming.

• Like 1

Just now, Spatzzz said:

I don't do that at all nor would I ever do that nor did I ever say that was ok. I did say which I see you either can't comprehend or don't understand is that getting PHYSICAL to stop someone from breaking ranks is dumb. I have said I think 3 times now in this thread you ask them to please wait or go around. If they insist you just let it go. It's just band.

And based on your chosen screen name BigW and attitude I'm guessing you are overcompensating for some shortcoming.

I'm guessing your name is a description of your dysfuctional brain waves as well. And no it's not. Let me type slowly and in bold face. 

Ever. See. A Westshoremen. Logo.? You. obviously.  can. spell. Take. a. look. at. it.

Ever. see. the. Movie. "It's. A. Mad. Mad.Mad. Mad. World.? You. might. get. the. reference. if. you. did. 

I'll reiterate something I told someone else. Our band was harassed repeatedly. Cigarette butts in member's necks. Coins and eggs thrown at us at parades. Certain football games, uniformed security had to be brought in to stop physical threats made against us. Tell you what. We gave back what we took when we got our chances. If you think that's bad, have someone put the hot end of a ciggy butt on your neck and stand there at attention for 30 seconds. Maybe it might change your perspective. If the neurons in your brain fire fast enough to realize wha'ts happening.

• Haha 1