Which is your favorite 4th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 4th place show of the decade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 4th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Beast (Carolina Crown 2018)
    • Beneath the Surface (Carolina Crown 2019)
    • Force of Nature (Santa Clara Vanguard 2016)
    • Men Are from Mars (Cavaliers 2017)
    • Les Miserables (Santa Clara Vanguard 2013)
    • The Power of 10 (Cadets 2015)
    • Rach Star (Carolina Crown 2011)
    • Scheherazade (Santa Clara Vanguard 2014)
    • A Second Chance (Carolina Crown 2010)
    • 12.25 (Cadets 2012)

Choices are listed in alphabetical order (by show title, with subtitles omitted). Consider also replying with comments about why you chose the show you did, or maybe ranking all ten shows (they are listed here for easier copy/pasting).

Beast (Carolina Crown 2018)

Beneath the Surface (Carolina Crown 2019)

Force of Nature (Santa Clara Vanguard 2016)

Men Are from Mars (Cavaliers 2017)

Les Miserables (Santa Clara Vanguard 2013)

The Power of 10 (Cadets 2015)

Rach Star (Carolina Crown 2011)

Scheherazade (Santa Clara Vanguard 2014)

A Second Chance (Carolina Crown 2010)

12.25 (Cadets 2012)

A new poll for each higher placement (and something else) will follow each day.

(And here's a link to the previous installment in this series.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Edit (9/8/19): And here are the results. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

32 -- Les Miserables (Santa Clara Vanguard 2013)

22 -- Force of Nature (Santa Clara Vanguard 2016)

20 -- Beneath the Surface (Carolina Crown 2019)

18 -- Rach Star (Carolina Crown 2011)

15 -- The Power of 10 (Cadets 2015)

7 -- Scheherazade (Santa Clara Vanguard 2014)

6 -- A Second Chance (Carolina Crown 2010)

6 -- 12.25 (Cadets 2012)

5 -- Men Are from Mars (Cavaliers 2017)

0 -- Beast (Carolina Crown 2018)

(131 votes total)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Another tough one. Given it's basically the same 3 corps (and one Cavies show) I feel comfortable ranking these. 

10. Cavaliers Men are from Mars- total miss for me and I am still bitter it passed the jagged line

9. SCV Les Miz- I am just not a musical person, espicially this musical...blah. SCV did a nice job though

8. Crown Second Chance- the weakest of the 4 Crown shows here. Great musically. Just hard to latch to and some dull moments

GAP

7. Cadets Power of 10- the Cadets had their act together and at the beginning of the season I thought they might have another championship run with this show. 2015 was such a strong year and this show got the shot straw.

6. 2016 SCV Force of Nature- Absolutely beautiful eloquently performed show. Underscored and underrated

5. Crown Beneath the Surface- Somewhat sterile but absolutely beautiful brass and they moved a lot. Percussion issues fixed. Should have grabbed 3rd.

4. SCV 2014- I think this is the best of the 4th place shows but not necessarily my favorite The opening with the trombones and the percussion is just OMG.

3. Cadets 12.25- bizarre choice after a championship but still a fun, great, clean, easy to follow show. It was fun to see all the Christmas shapes on the field.

2. Crown Beast- this show finished appropriately but it doesn't get enough credit. I personally felt the beast looming the whole time. Loved the ballad and the feature (THATs how you celebrate women), and the closer. I was into this show the whole time.

1. Rach Star- Personal preference and I don't need to explain.

Really though 1-7 on my list were close.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Positivitively. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

10. Cavaliers Men are from Mars- total miss for me and I am still bitter it passed the jagged line

I think it was on the very last day of the season someone here put forward a theory about the meaning of "Men Are from Mars" that had not occurred to me at all (or apparently to anyone else here) and that I found totally convincing (and now historically ironic, if you think about what else happened that day), but if the message is that obscure, then it's probably not a successful design. And I found the show annoying for other reasons. That said, it was the show that won the local event when I took my sister and nephew to their first ever drum corps competition, so I later bought him the t-shirt as a Christmas present.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it was on the very last day of the season someone here put forward a theory about the meaning of "Men Are from Mars" that had not occurred to me at all (or apparently to anyone else here) and that I found totally convincing (and now historically ironic, if you think about what else happened that day), but if the message is that obscure, then it's probably not a successful design. And I found the show annoying for other reasons. That said, it was the show that won the local event when I took my sister and nephew to their first ever drum corps competition, so I later bought him the t-shirt as a Christmas present.

I do have to admit the "make drum corps great again" shirts were catchy

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Another tough one. Given it's basically the same 3 corps (and one Cavies show) I feel comfortable ranking these. 

9. SCV Les Miz- I am just not a musical person, espicially this musical...blah. SCV did a nice job though

8. Crown Second Chance- the weakest of the 4 Crown shows here. Great musically. Just hard to latch to and some dull moments

GAP

7. Cadets Power of 10- the Cadets had their act together and at the beginning of the season I thought they might have another championship run with this show. 2015 was such a strong year and this show got the shot straw.

6. 2016 SCV Force of Nature- Absolutely beautiful eloquently performed show. Underscored and underrated

5. Crown Beneath the Surface- Somewhat sterile but absolutely beautiful brass and they moved a lot. Percussion issues fixed. Should have grabbed 3rd.

4. SCV 2014- I think this is the best of the 4th place shows but not necessarily my favorite The opening with the trombones and the percussion is just OMG.

3. Cadets 12.25- bizarre choice after a championship but still a fun, great, clean, easy to follow show. It was fun to see all the Christmas shapes on the field.

2. Crown Beast- this show finished appropriately but it doesn't get enough credit. I personally felt the beast looming the whole time. Loved the ballad and the feature (THATs how you celebrate women), and the closer. I was into this show the whole time.

Really though 1-7 on my list were close.

Using your post b/c we've had very similar thoughts on several of these recent polls:

Personally I'd have the SCV shows as almost a tossup between Les Mis and Force with 2014 trailing - I am a musical person (to an extent) but for a LONG time, NOT that one.  Then I actually saw it. I wound up picking Force of Nature b/c it was SO beautifully constructed and performed. Personally, I was just meh on 2014 but darned if I know why. Agreed on the percussion though.

Although I didn't see it live, I really liked Power of 10, even with the black unis.

Despite the performance prowess, was NOT a fan of Beast. Even with being somewhat sterile, I liked Beneath the Surface a lot more.  Can't comment on the other Crown shows since I haven't seen them in any format.

• Like 1

I went with Force Of Nature, my favorite of 3 pretty strong SCV shows. It was by far the most beautiful show on the field that summer, and a fine capstone for Pete Weber's years with the corps.

Runner up for me is Beneath the Surface, which narrowly edges out A Second Chance (oh, that Mahler opener...!) from this mixed bag of 4 Crown shows. 

Cadets 2012 and Cavies 2017 are at the bottom of this group for me. 

I wanted to vote for Crown and  Rach Star, and then I saw SCV and Les Miserables and Scheherazade. All three are shows I love and watch and rewatch. I finally decided on Scheherazade because I knew Rach Star would be first and assumed Les Mis would be second (not looking that way, at least not now). That being said, I’m surprised Cadets and 12.25 is not feeling more love.

Les Miz for me. That mello solo. The flag tosses from behind the props. The drill. It all worked for me.

• Like 3