Which is your favorite 4th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 4th place show of the decade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 4th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Beast (Carolina Crown 2018)
    • Beneath the Surface (Carolina Crown 2019)
    • Force of Nature (Santa Clara Vanguard 2016)
    • Men Are from Mars (Cavaliers 2017)
    • Les Miserables (Santa Clara Vanguard 2013)
    • The Power of 10 (Cadets 2015)
    • Rach Star (Carolina Crown 2011)
    • Scheherazade (Santa Clara Vanguard 2014)
    • A Second Chance (Carolina Crown 2010)
    • 12.25 (Cadets 2012)

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I was at Annapolis that year too! I'm a BD honk but that SCV show definitely won me over more than BD did that year!

My dad was visiting and we drove out there and met a friend there for the show. We'd gotten their early intending to look for lot warmups but they didn't seem to have them around the actual lot.  It was stinking hot and we didn't want to go wandering around too much.  Dad started telling stories from his day in an American Legion corps in 1956.

For me, it's:

1) Les Mis

2) 12.25

3) Beneath the Surface

Also of note: The Intros of Rach Star and Force of Nature 

Edited by JustEnjoyIt

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A number of people who aren't Christian or aren't religious have expressed dissatisfaction over the years at "12.25" and how it seemed, to them, to be shoving a sectarian religious message down their throats. And they probably also suspect now that G.H. was at times using Cadets' shows to work out his guilt, and they want no part of that. (This is just my external observation; I rather like the show myself--but I have less trouble than some separating art from artist.)

I do recall some critiques of 12.25 in 2012, and the issues had to do with the religious nature of the show, but if we analyze GH working out guilt via the show, that’s a pretty big stretch. 

This one was difficult.  But question is favorite, so went with Rach Star, as it gets the most replay from me (honk). 

But I do love, and have such admiration for Force of Nature.  I think it might be the best of the bunch, just not my personal favorite in term of entertainment.  

The 2019 shows are hard to factor in these lists since we don't have the benefit of time.  I loved Beneath the Surface musically, and that ballad will get a lot of replay for me.

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A number of people who aren't Christian or aren't religious have expressed dissatisfaction over the years at "12.25" and how it seemed, to them, to be shoving a sectarian religious message down their throats. And they probably also suspect now that G.H. was at times using Cadets' shows to work out his guilt, and they want no part of that. (This is just my external observation; I rather like the show myself--but I have less trouble than some separating art from artist.)

Interesting.  I have not watched that show in a long time, but my recollection was that it was more a secular "peace and joy" type celebration of Christmas, vs. a more religious "birth of the savior" celebration.  But I grew up Catholic, so obviously it would make a different impression on me.

Wonder what those same folks thought of Cadets 2017 (Mass).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s SCV’s Les Mis for me, but Force of Nature and Crown’s A Second Chance are close behind.

So many shows to like!

1 - Force of Nature.  While another corps named Vanguard has medaled every year since, I still miss this Vanguard.

2 - Rach Star -- still the best timed Crocker introduction and a standing ovation on the opening hit

3 - 12.25 - have always liked this show and without this show we never get the I KNOW YOU/HIM meme with Buddy the Elf

4 - The Power of 10 - liked this show but never understood the need for the switch to the black uniforms 

5 - Beneath The Surface - ballad and Bucimis

6 - Scheherazade - best use of trombones that season

7 - Beast - just ok

8 - Les Miserables -- Cadets 1989 was better

9 - Men Are From Mars - meh

10 - A Second Chance - never saw this

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Force of Nature gets my vote, as it's my favorite SCV show of the decade. Yes, I like it more than Babylon.

Me too!