Which is your favorite 4th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 4th place show of the decade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 4th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Beast (Carolina Crown 2018)
    • Beneath the Surface (Carolina Crown 2019)
    • Force of Nature (Santa Clara Vanguard 2016)
    • Men Are from Mars (Cavaliers 2017)
    • Les Miserables (Santa Clara Vanguard 2013)
    • The Power of 10 (Cadets 2015)
    • Rach Star (Carolina Crown 2011)
    • Scheherazade (Santa Clara Vanguard 2014)
    • A Second Chance (Carolina Crown 2010)
    • 12.25 (Cadets 2012)

43 minutes ago, Tim K said:

That being said, I’m surprised Cadets and 12.25 is not feeling more love.

A number of people who aren't Christian or aren't religious have expressed dissatisfaction over the years at "12.25" and how it seemed, to them, to be shoving a sectarian religious message down their throats. And they probably also suspect now that G.H. was at times using Cadets' shows to work out his guilt, and they want no part of that. (This is just my external observation; I rather like the show myself--but I have less trouble than some separating art from artist.)

For me it was a really tight call between Les Mis and Rach Star.

I voted Les Mis but honestly I could have gone either way.

• Like 2

10.12.25 (Cadets 2012) - Drum Corps Cringe.

9. Men are from Mars (Cavaliers 2017) - Drum Corps Cringe, Part Deux.

8. A Second Chance (Carolina Crown 2010) - I can certainly appreciate it, but the show didn't really grab me in any way. Haven't really given it a second viewing since the 2010 season.

7. Les Miserables (SCV 2013) - Very entertaining, but nothing overly memorable other than the solos for me.

6. Scheherazade (SCV 2014) - Only reason it isn't higher is because I am partial to the earlier 2000s version.

5. Beneath the Surface (Crown 2019) - I started enjoying it quite a bit musically by the end of the season, but I just wasn't loving the visual package, especially the guard. I just couldn't get over the lack of contrast.

4. Force of Nature (SCV 2016) - Masterfully designed show, very enjoyable to watch. Doesn't get as many replays as my top 3, but still very enjoyable.

3. Beast (Carolina Crown 2018) - Silly prop aside, I actually really enjoyed this show. 

2. Rach Star (Carolina Crown 2011) - One of the most entertaining drum corps shows I've ever seen. The members sold the hell out of this show.

1. The Power of 10 (Cadets 2015) - Loved this show and was really disappointed to see it lose steam towards the end of the season. It's one of the few shows where I genuinely didn't care about the theme at all. I just enjoyed seeing a powerhouse Cadets type of performance with some terrific music and really impressive drill.  In my opinion, we haven't seen one like this from them since. 

• Like 2

Force of Nature.  

Me at show announcement: Ugh, they're doing a four seasons show.

Me seeing the first stream:  Oh gosh this is a visual treat with all sorts of neat things going on.

Me at Annapolis live: [whispering to a friend] See, bird calls in the pit!  MMs noticing me point and playing the next few calls our way.  Me geeking out...then THAT HIT...uuuuuhhh. so good.  A bit later, me and about three other people.... VANGUARD! [the circulation of when to do the yell had just started]

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

With 42 votes cast, it's a dead heat for first place: nine votes each for Rach Star, Les Miserables, and Force of Nature.

1. Cadets 2012 - call it controversial but this is one of my favorite drum corps shows of all time. I typically don't like cheesy shows but Christmas music is MEANT to be cheesy. Home run for me 

2. SCV 2016 - gorgeous 

3. SCV 2013

4. Cadets 2015 

5. Carolina Crown 2019

6. SCV 2014 

------------------------------

7. Carolina Crown 2011

8. Carolina Crown 2010

9. Cavaliers 2017

10. Carolina Crown 2018

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Force of Nature.  

Me at show announcement: Ugh, they're doing a four seasons show.

Me seeing the first stream:  Oh gosh this is a visual treat with all sorts of neat things going on.

Me at Annapolis live: [whispering to a friend] See, bird calls in the pit!  MMs noticing me point and playing the next few calls our way.  Me geeking out...then THAT HIT...uuuuuhhh. so good.  A bit later, me and about three other people.... VANGUARD! [the circulation of when to do the yell had just started]

I was at Annapolis that year too! I'm a BD honk but that SCV show definitely won me over more than BD did that year!

1 hour ago, Musicman1084 said:

8. A Second Chance (Carolina Crown 2010) - I can certainly appreciate it, but the show didn't really grab me in any way. Haven't really given it a second viewing since the 2010 season.

So you haven't given it A Second Chance?

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A number of people who aren't Christian or aren't religious have expressed dissatisfaction over the years at "12.25" and how it seemed, to them, to be shoving a sectarian religious message down their throats. And they probably also suspect now that G.H. was at times using Cadets' shows to work out his guilt, and they want no part of that. (This is just my external observation; I rather like the show myself--but I have less trouble than some separating art from artist.)

That's odd. Im very much against organized religion so I can understand the sentiment but I never felt that the show was pushing any sort of views. It wasn't really preachy, it was more whimsical 

• Like 4