What are your 12 favorite non-finalist shows of the 2010s?

In order of enjoyment:

1. Pacific Crest 2019 - Everglow

2. Colts 2018 - True Believer

3. Oregon Crusaders 2017 - EnCompass

4. Spartans 2019 - Experiment X

5. Spirit of Atlanta 2018 - Knock

6. Jersey Surf 2019 - FantaSea

7. Academy 2018 - Academic

8. Seattle Cascades 2016 - O

9. Spirit of Atlanta 2019 - Neon Underground

10. Gold 2018 - Through Our Eyes

Honorable Mention: Teal Sound 2012 (CircO). It would have been something special by season's end.

Edited by Musicman1084

These are the stand outs on the lists for me as I give them a look

• The Pursuit of Happiness (Gold 2019)

This was a fun upbeat show.  As much as I like dark and weird, the happy shows get me too.  I liked the super clever things they did with drill at the start with the 'dodging traffic' etc.  

• Hell on Wheels (Music City 2018)

What a way to enter World Class.  One of the more creative field entrances we've seen in the activity and the spoken/rap bit was done with so much fun.

• Redrum (Oregon Crusaders 2018)

As a fan of the movie, I loved the way they brought this to the field.  It was never quite sold as solidly by the MMs as it seemed it could be and ... sadly ... we discovered why after the seasons end.

• nevermore (Oregon Crusaders 2014)

This was the start of a nice string of Oregon Crusaders shows.  They were a gem of the 'non-finalists' in design for me trying some great stuff visually and musically. 

• Forbidden Forest (Mandarins 2016)

This was the "shot fired across the bow" signaling they were ready for their close up.  A show that really started to make Mandarins someplace kids wanted to march.

• The New Road West (Troopers 2018)

The Black Parade opener got me EVERY time.  And Seminfinals night, I just wanted it to go on forever.  It was like a music box playing a love song to the history of the Troopers and Gabe's last turn on the box.

• The Midnight Garden (Oregon Crusaders 2015)

Another OC show I enjoyed a lot.  The way they slowly got vines revealed over their props and horns by show's end was a fun add on.

• ...And a Shot Rings Out (Colts 2015)

Of the "narration era" for the Colts, I preferred this one. I was charmed by the old time radio show motif.  Early season it had way too much narration and I think that set the opinions of many in stone about the show. By the end they'd cut back a lot of it and struck a nice balance between the story and the music.  I loved that it had three different endings.  Poor Trixie...semi's wasn't for you.

• Inside the Ink (Mandarins 2017)

A show that could have easily made finals.  The only people who were 'whoa, where did Mandarins come from' were people who weren't watching the Forbidden Forest.  Sound of Silence done from the Disturbed take worked so well in this show.

• Wild Horses (Troopers 2015)

This was another one I wanted to make finals. I still give this a listen. The way they open with pasture sounds, horses nickering in the wind, etc. in the preshow is just great.  From the ballad (which many people got nit picking on the singer, despite that she was doing a load of spinning, dancing, and other guard work then finding the breath to sing that) to the closer was a build of energy and the use of the fences to the dramatic 'busting out of the fences' at the end was really well done.

• As the Sun Loved the Moon (7th Regiment 2017)

Added because i realized i only had 10 in the original list.  Not only was this a nice show. it had things that i kept discovering on the 3 times I got to see it.  I think it was prelims in LOS where I finally realized the motions the circles were doing weren't some 'ritual to the moon or sun' but rather they were making stars that twinkled.  And prelims, those kids put it ALL out there with the duet at the end collapsing in tears into each others' arms...

7Rfeels.gif

• Passion in Red (Les Stentors 2019) 

After not coming to the states to tour for a year, I was glad to see them back.  Then they started their show and I fell in love.  They kept making it better and better through the three shows I got to see them.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

For reference, corps that placed 13th to 19th (alphabetical within placements):

15th Place

• Academic (Academy 2018)
  • Both Sides Now (Colts 2017)
  • The Bridge Between (Academy 2019)
  • Field of Dreams (Colts 2013)
  • Left of Spring (Academy 2012)
  • Noir (nuvo) (Blue Devils B 2014)
  • (RE) (Academy 2011)
  • A Step in Time (Academy 2015)
  • To the Moon (Blue Devils B 2016)
  • Wanted (Troopers 2010)

Which of these five 15th place Academy shows do you like most and least?

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Most:  Step in Time 2015

Least:  The Bridge Between 2019

It does seem Academy has lost its sense of whimsy lately.  

• Like 2

No particular order, and I picked more than 12. Sorry, but there are a bunch of great shows to choose from....

• Neon Underground (Spirit of Atlanta 2019)
  • True Colors (Colts 2010)
  • Knock (Spirit of Atlanta 2018)
  • Dark Side of the Rainbow (Colts 2014)
  • Inside the Ink (Mandarins 2017)
  • By a Hare (Academy 2017)
  • Everglow (Pacific Crest 2019)
  • Strangers in Paradise (Academy 2010)
  • Both Sides Now (Colts 2017)
  • Vanity Fair (Academy 2014)
  • When Hell Freezes Over (Colts 2019)
  • Nachtmusik (Colts 2016)
  • Magnolia (Spirit of Atlanta 2014)
  • The Midnight Garden (Oregon Crusaders 2015)
  • nevermore (Oregon Crusaders 2014)
  • Piano Man (Academy 2013)
  • Intergalactic (Seattle Cascades 2015)
  • Off the Wall (Vanguard Cadets 2018)
  • Like 1

I'm unable to follow the rules, sorry. Just way too many shows, and my brain can't handle it.

Some I really enjoyed:

2019 Pacific Crest - Everglow
2019 Spartans - Experiment X
2017 Vanguard Cadets - In Pieces
2014 Blue Devils B - Noir (Nuvo) - I absolutely LOVE the music with this one
2013 Blue Devils B - Warped

Edited by JustEnjoyIt
  • Like 1

In no particular order..

And a Shot Rang Out - Colts ‘15

Bridgemania -Jersey Surf ‘12

By a Hare - The Academy ‘17

Dark Side of the Rainbow - Colts ‘14

DaVinci’s Workshop - Spartans ‘18

Experiment X - Spartans ‘19

Forbidden Forest - Mandarins ‘16

Knock - Spirit of Atlanta ‘18

Magnificent 11 - Troopers ‘13

Majestic - Madison Scouts ‘19

Step In Time - The Academy ‘15

The Guitarist - Southwind ‘18

• Like 2

I am going to have to give that list a real hard look but I have to give a shoutout to The Academy.  2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2017 all just made me feel very happy.  They've taken a bit more serious approach the last two years, but the mostly whimsical, fun, and lighthearted shows that I mentioned above were a highlight of each of those seasons.  2011 and 2012 were not as lighthearted perhaps but they were very quirky and fantastical in their own right.  2011 might be my favorite of any of these shows, that show was just the essence of what I love about drum corps. That is a show I listen to constantly, and I love the bonkers color palette they had.

And oh my lord I miss those uniforms.  

Pacific Crest this past year gets a big nod from me as well, just great music wrapped up in a sleek and ultra modern package.  

• Like 2