Which is your favorite 3rd place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 3rd place show of the decade?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 3rd place DCI show of the 2010s?

• It Is (Carolina Crown 2017)
    • Kinetic Noise (Bluecoats 2015)
    • Metropolis (Bluecoats 2010)
    • Promise (Cadets 2014)
    • Relentless (Carolina Crown 2016)
    • Session 44 (Bluecoats 2018)
    • Side X Side (Cadets 2013)
    • Turandot (Phantom Regiment 2012)
    • Vox Eversio (Santa Clara Vanguard 2019)
    • XtraordinarY (Cavaliers 2011)

Tough one is right.

I gotta go Session 44. The only show where the singing was actually cool, enjoyable and fitting and not bothersome. That gal was on it. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

It's really something. How far into this and no one's even mentioned the Blue Dev-

Oh, right.

I'm gonna have a field day on the next 2 posts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Easy for me. Kinetic Noise.

Probably my favorite DCI show of all time...or at least the one I go back and listen to/watch the most. Mr. Maps is my favorite percussion feature of all time. The show has seamless transitions and an exceptional use of music technology...I also feel it was the cleanest performance the Bluecoats put on the field until Session 44 and, well, The Bluecoats.

Tier 2 (HONK HONK)

Session 44

Metropolis

Tier 3 (great, clean shows, but I just couldn't get vested in them)

Side X Side

Relentless

XtrodonairY

Turnadot

Tier 4

Vox Eversio- probably the best corps on the field of 2019 and some great musical moments but what was going on really?

Tier 5 (great corps, awful designs)

It Is- After some studying I understood the theme and what they were going for but why? This show is never going to live down the fact that the best hornline of 2017 played backup singer to a vocalist.

Promise- the never ending narration, Lincoln Portrait, the stage in the front of the field so you really couldn't see the Cadets upfront. Just no.

I chose Session 44. .  Ironically,  I’m wearing a Session 44 T-shirt today. 

• Like 3

I picked Metropolis because it's the one I find myself listening to most frequently.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

1. Cadets 2013 (Side x Side) - the GE Music tape (or was it music analysis?) on YouTube says it best, this show probably had one of the best music books ever put on a football field. This was an easy pick for me

----------------------------------------------

2. Bluecoats 2018 (Session 44)

3. Phantom 2012 (Turandot)

4. SCV 2019 (Vox Eversio)

5. Bluecoats 2015 (Kinetic Noise) 

6. Carolina Crown 2016 (Relentless)

-------------------------------------------

7. Cavaliers 2011 (Xtraordinary)

8. Cadets 2014 (Promise: An American Portrait)

9. Bluecoats 2010 (Metropolis) 

--------------------------------------------------

10. Carolina Crown 2017 (It Is) - probably the worst show of this decade to medal. Sorry. 

Side x Side paid a huuuuge disservice to that musical book. One of my favorite music books of all time, with that show design.... AGH!!! One of those shows that it’s almost better to just shut your eyes and listen.

It was a close one between Bloo’s 2015 and 2018 shows, but I chose Kinetic Noise because I don’t think we’ll ever see another show quite like that one again.

Session 44’s music book is my favorite that Bloo has ever done, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

It was a close one between Bloo’s 2015 and 2018 shows, but I chose Kinetic Noise because I don’t think we’ll ever see another show quite like that one again.

Session 44’s music book is my favorite that Bloo has ever done, though.

Now it’s earworming.  Especially The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines.  

• Like 3

I went with Kinetic Noise but easily could have switched to Session 44.

What Kinetic Noise created with that soundscape was simply amazing. This was definitely a show you had to experience live to appreciate fully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Now it’s earworming.  Especially The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines.  

I still say they needed to have four different shiny colors for the jacket liners just for the moment they sequentially flashed them in that song: orange, yellow, red, and purple.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

5. Carolina Crown 2017 - It Is - I was actually quite fond of this show, contrary to how others received it.  I didn't mind the singing one bit and really appreciated this show.

I think amplified voice in drum corps should be used sparingly, because more singing generally means less for the brass to do, and brass is a sine qua non of this activity. So while voice was used successfully in this show and some others (like Session 44 and Wicked Games), it still detracts from the show, for me, when the melody for a song or two or three is handed over to a non-brass (or non-mallet) instrument.

But it gets even harder to judge the success of this show given that the voice, which was the lead instrument for half the production, was missing in Semifinals and Finals because of microphone troubles. How the G.E. and music analysis judges were supposed to evaluate something that wasn't there as if it was there is a mystery for the ages.