I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

The argument can certainly be made, yes. 

Then again, through any other year, similar arguments could be made.  It's an endless cycle. 

• Like 2

One of my pet peeves is when people ask "is it just me" or "am I alone in thinking this?" because the answer is always no. There's a few billion people on this Earth, chances of you being alone on an opinion are slim. 

With that said, I disagree. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I strongly believe Coats should have won and Crown should have been third

Am I alone? 

With respect to the latter, it is a sentiment widely held in CrownLAND.

Too much of a coward to take a position on the former.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Both sets of scores were incredibly close and could have gone either way. There are 11 different expert judges who all had to make judgment calls in an incredibly tight year. The chips fell how they did. It could’ve gone either way and it came down to preference and opinions.

I personally thought Devils had it by an inch and Crown would barely pass SCV, but I’m glad that they have experts to decide this (from far better vantage points than mine).

• Like 6

Bluecoats yes...GE judges were unwilling to make the separation there should have been between the two Blue team.  Crown no....great performance only finals but knew there was little chance because of the large gaps in visual analysis and guard.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I strongly believe Coats should have won and Crown should have been third

Am I alone? 

Not only do I agree, but I think it’s very bad for the activity to have the same champion so many times. Very demotivating. Whoopee, Blue Devils will likely win in 2020.  Let’s rush out and buy tickets. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Not only do I agree, but I think it’s very bad for the activity to have the same champion so many times. Very demotivating. Whoopee, Blue Devils will likely win in 2020.  Let’s rush out and buy tickets. 

Yes, good idea. Let’s rig the competitive results so we don’t keep having the same winner. That’ll legitimize the activity!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I disagree. As early as Atlanta, and probably earlier, BD and Bluecoats were so close to one another. As BD's show came into focus, I believe they had the edge. I just looked at the head to head on DCI.org and early season, when they weren't performing near each other geographically, there was a small difference in scores, but not enough to see BD getting a bump, from around July 10 on, they were neck and neck. BD was also in 1st or 2nd in virtually all categories and subcategories at most shows, with a few dips in colorguard and percussion, although on finals night those numbers were up, and brass/music was down.

As for Crown and SCV, SCV scored better most of the season, and only in August did their scores get closer.

Granted that's just really looking at numbers, so then I think it comes down to personal opinion of show design/enjoyment of the product. I personally loved what both BD and Bluecoats did, but I think Bluecoats had a show that any other year would have won, but I feel like they peaked on Thursday as far as their performance was concerned. I also felt like there were some questionable musical ideas with Bluecoats in design.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Yes, good idea. Let’s rig the competitive results so we don’t keep having the same winner. That’ll legitimize the activity!

Do you think the judging is completely objective?  There is already a good deal of personal bias and preferences involved in assigning a score. If you think otherwise eyou’re kidding yourself. So, the legitimacy of assigning placements has always been kinda meh.

How about this idea. The champion is not allowed to compete in the following year’s championship. There is at least one music  circuit I know of that has that rule. (Choir)

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 2