I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Upon further reflection, I may be more a fan of the second place shows than the first:  Phantom Regiment in 78...and 79...and 89...and 06.  27th Lancers in 80.  Crown in 15.  SCV in 87.  Cavies in 91 (audible gasp!). And so on

That's definitely the case for me. My favorite winning show is outside of my top 5 all-time. P

I am as big of a Bloo honk as there is, but I am content with how the placements shook out. BD had a great show and I believe that Bloo being as solid as they were may have pushed BD to even greater heights than if Bloo wasn’t banging on their door, er, wall. How about a rematch in 2020?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

One of my pet peeves is when people ask "is it just me" or "am I alone in thinking this?" because the answer is always no. There's a few billion people on this Earth, chances of you being alone on an opinion are slim. 

With that said, I disagree. 

Have you ever heard of the word rhetorical? 

So - with that out of the way, honestly I love BD but the show was entirely average by bD standards. I watched the 14 and 17 shows as comparisons and the only things memorable were the rifle tosses over the prop and the beginning and the shoe thing that came straight out of a play off broadway 

Crown really surged at the end and SCV FELT VERY FLAT by finals night. The show had lost its soul entirely. Visually clean but otherwise a snooze fest imo 

i find it interesting the the judging community ranked both these shows ahead of much more entertaining and compelling ones - at least based on crowd reaction 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I strongly believe Coats should have won and Crown should have been third

Am I alone? 

I feel you.

These were so close competitively and the coin flip didn't sit well with me either.

What rubs me the wrong way the most is probably BD and SCV coming in at 4th and 5th in brass respectively. I place the most weight on brass, music analysis, and GE. Bluecoats had BD on all 3 and Crown had SCV on all 3. So 🤷

Percussion is important to me too. SCV smoked Crown there and BD won over Bloo.

I am not going to go as far as saying either corps was robbed or ripped off though.

Edited by ThePlanets

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If only it were “of their own merits.”  This thread wouldn’t exist. But as (maybe almost) everyone agrees, there is no way to prevent subjectively in judging. So it never has been, and never will be, ENTIRELY of their own merit.

i think judges get the general groupings accurate. For example, 9 thru 12. 5 thru 8. 1 thru 4.  But within the groupings there will always be difference of opinion, personal preferences of individual judges, etc. 

Well, if it's subjective (and it is), then who's to say -- with the adjudication system in place by the corps themselves -- it ISN'T of their own merits? 🙂  

And what do you say about the years where BD almost unanimously swept captions?

• Like 1

I can see people feeling that way when it was so close. But I thought it was accurate myself, so did my wife, we guessed it right beforehand. What do we know though, we're just frequent spectators with no judging experience lol. Any technical reasons why it should've been different would just go over our heads. Am I alone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Have you ever heard of the word rhetorical? 

So - with that out of the way, honestly I love BD but the show was entirely average by bD standards. I watched the 14 and 17 shows as comparisons and the only things memorable were the rifle tosses over the prop and the beginning and the shoe thing that came straight out of a play off broadway 

Crown really surged at the end and SCV FELT VERY FLAT by finals night. The show had lost its soul entirely. Visually clean but otherwise a snooze fest imo 

i find it interesting the the judging community ranked both these shows ahead of much more entertaining and compelling ones - at least based on crowd reaction 

Well, when you use it as a conversation starter -- as a question meant to be answered -- then it isn't, by definition, rhetorical 🙂 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well, when you use it as a conversation starter -- as a question meant to be answered -- then it isn't, by definition, rhetorical 🙂 

Fair enough. I’m just throwing out a conversation starter for us. I do think it’s an interesting observation that the least popular show of 1&2 won and the least popular show of 3&4 won. This is essentially a communication and entertainment art form. The way the cookies crumbled reminds me of 90s judging 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

D1/2: I agree with the placings  and thought there should have been more of a gap between BD and BC.

3/4: I prefer Crown’s show by a big margin over SCV. It was .037 difference, which was really close.

Maybe they should reinstate something like the Disney Spirit Award (or whatever it was called) for those who don’t like judges awarding the best show. That way they can feel better when their favorite show doesn’t win.

Edited by jaylogan
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jaylogan said:

who don’t like judges awarding the best show. That way they can feel better when their favorite show doesn’t win.

I feel fine

but I would state the opposite happened, the best “shows” did not win.