I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Upon further reflection, I may be more a fan of the second place shows than the first:  Phantom Regiment in 78...and 79...and 89...and 06.  27th Lancers in 80.  Crown in 15.  SCV in 87.  Cavies in 91 (audible gasp!). And so on

Amen to these. Some of the biggest We Wuz Robbed moments in history. 

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I feel fine

but I would state the opposite happened, the best “shows” did not win. 

That’s fine. I feel otherwise. Everyone has their preferences.

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

So - with that out of the way, honestly I love BD but the show was entirely average by bD standards. I watched the 14 and 17 shows as comparisons and the only things memorable were the rifle tosses over the prop and the beginning and the shoe thing that came straight out of a play off broadway 

I couldn't disagree with this more. To me, this was their strongest overall package since 2014. It was an extremely lean and purposeful show, with no extra fat in it. Everything had a reason and it all moved - quickly - from scene to scene. What they did visually will move the needle and others will be trying to emulate it. Prop usage was impeccable. It was interesting, had great transitions, humor, and the dance fluidity and upper body expressiveness/shaping/energy transitions demonstrated by the hornline outdid half of the color guards in the top 12. 

For all its strengths, 2017 was a rather clunky design overall, with pieces shoved together, and even the mighty 2014 production starts to look like the Stone Age compared to '19. A fun, engaging, modern show and a way forward that used elements of the compressed arena style brought by SCV last year, but didn't throw away the big visuals and high velocity that outdoor audiences love.

• Like 5

After the show in Lawrence, MA, I thought Crown would place 6th, and BAC and Cavies would battle for 4th and 5th. After Allentown a few days later, my mind changed. I thought Crown would medal.  For much of the season it was a bit uneven, but the major kinks were gone by Indy. SCV had a powerful show, but it was all power and little nuance.

I still can’t understand BD over Bloo. I enjoyed both shows, and I can understand the close proximity, but it should have been Bloo.

I wonder if there's sort of a handicap to impress people when you're BD or SCV this year. I mean you have a consistent champion and last years champion, so everybody expects a lot. If you give a lot in their case it's just business as usual, so people aren't as impressed. I wonder how people would have seen their shows if they came on the scene this year as a brand new, never competed or seen before corps. People may have been really extra wowed and thought they were hands down the better shows. Just a thought. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I strongly believe Coats should have won and Crown should have been third

Am I alone? 

I agree that those should have been the placements, but not so much that I could be said to "strongly believe" it. It was close in both cases.

• Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

Add Cadets 2007 

That show, technically marvelous as it was, was so determined to make people not like it, though. Don't talk over the music.

(And then the corps doubled down on that aspect the next year.)

• Like 3

I love the Bluecoats, and as a supporter and fan I wanted them to win badly! Felt they had the show, and they did have the show. But so did BD. It was a tough battle down the stretch and the fans were rewarded with some great drum corps. In the end I feel Blue Devils cleaned the body and feet (visual) slightly better, and Bluecoats were unable to exploit their advantage in GE by an additional tenth. BD was better in percussion, Bloo was better in music, but visual (including guard) is what the Blue Devils do so well. Honestly, both corps did visual and general effect well enough to win. Bluecoats were just .087 short. 

So I am OK with Blue Devils as champions. They beat Bloo fair and square on Finals night. I'm sure it was a tough call for judges.

I might have put Crown over SCV on Finals night, but I had no problem with the results. In some respects, Santa Clara may have had the most talented corps on the field this summer (in terms of overall depth). The design and theme of the show just ended up being a challenge to push into the stands. The same sort of thing happened to Crown. They had a killer music ensemble (as they typically do), wonderful drill, but after that they struggled to push the design and theme into the stands (and to judges). I loved their show (and Vanguard's), but if we're talking top 3, I think both corps were lucky that the Cavaliers didn't clean that show a bit faster.  With better performance levels (to go along with their 3rd place Brass finish) I believe Cavaliers would have been sitting in 3rd place after Finals. 

• Like 3