I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

56 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Fair enough. I’m just throwing out a conversation starter for us. I do think it’s an interesting observation that the least popular show of 1&2 won and the least popular show of 3&4 won. This is essentially a communication and entertainment art form. The way the cookies crumbled reminds me of 90s judging 

Some of the greatest pieces of art aren't appreciated until years, decades, or centuries later. 

Regardless, until we start trotting out judges with a similar knowledge level of the average audience member (sounds horrifying), we aren't going to see the same levels of successful entertainment and communication between the audience and the judges. Those two groups view shows through very different lenses. 

I think we also have a tendency to fallaciously suggest that just because one corps is an audience favorite, that it means that the other corps is performing a show that the same audience doesn't like. People can like multiple shows to different degrees, or another group in the audience altogether could overwhelmingly enjoy a different corps more than the "audience favorite"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Add Cadets 2007 

Still one of the cleanest, most polished visual displays I've seen...and the drill was incredible. Brass was amazing. Percussion was solid but may have hurt them a pinch. In the end, I just wanted to shout at a certain person for the idiotic narration.  Despite that I might have given them Gold. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

I wonder if there's sort of a handicap to impress people when you're BD or SCV this year. I mean you have a consistent champion and last years champion, so everybody expects a lot. If you give a lot in their case it's just business as usual, so people aren't as impressed. I wonder how people would have seen their shows if they came on the scene this year as a brand new, never competed or seen before corps. People may have been really extra wowed and thought they were hands down the better shows. Just a thought. 

I agree. A lot of it is perception and personal biases 

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Fair enough. I’m just throwing out a conversation starter for us. I do think it’s an interesting observation that the least popular show of 1&2 won and the least popular show of 3&4 won. This is essentially a communication and entertainment art form. The way the cookies crumbled reminds me of 90s judging 

I do disagree on this point. I comb these forums like a madman and can't get enough of drum corps throughout the season, and this seemed to be a very popular BD show. I think the general consensus seemed to be that most loved both BD & Bloo this year.

• Like 7

I loved Bloo all season, and they certainly had a complete and compelling title-worthy show. But by semis, I felt BD had the higher performance level. The judges had to decide between two strong shows. Some picked BD, some picked Bloo. The math came out BD. That's how the scoring system is supposed to work.

Pretty much the same story for Crown/SCV. They were so close, it seems stupid to say that anyone was "ripped off". The judges made their calls on finals night, and we got the result we got.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

They were both great drum corps.  

I'm positive 2019 will stick out as one of the great top 2 rivalries of the years. I've revisited both shows with alarming alacrity since the season's end, and I believe both shows will age well --- not a dull moment in either one.

• Like 4

Just now, Jake W. said:

I do disagree on this point. I comb these forums like a madman and can't get enough of drum corps throughout the season, and this seemed to be a very popular BD show. I think the general consensus seemed to be that most loved both BD & Bloo this year.

I agree. I like that George started this thread though. I think it's good to let people get their opinions out. Sometimes I think DCP has become afraid to attack the difficult subjects. BD and Bloo this year gave us an incredible race to the finish.

Now to your point above. You are correct. Bluecoats may have had the most popular show with fans (not all, but with most), but the Blue Devils were very popular this year. This was not your 2010 version of BD where they got golf claps throughout the season. I saw BD 3 times in 2010 (and I loved them) but you would have though the local raffle winner got more applause than the corps did at 2 of those shows. This year I think you could argue that Blue Devils were in most people's top 2 or 3 in terms of favs. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Do you think the judging is completely objective?  There is already a good deal of personal bias and preferences involved in assigning a score. If you think otherwise eyou’re kidding yourself. So, the legitimacy of assigning placements has always been kinda meh.

How about this idea. The champion is not allowed to compete in the following year’s championship. There is at least one music  circuit I know of that has that rule. (Choir)

How about this idea: we hire qualified people to judge, we let them assign the scores they think each unit has earned according to a rubric, we do some math and award the trophy to the one with the highest total.

Every adjudicated arts competition on Planet Earth, from Olympic figure skating to the kids' painting contest at your local county fair, is judged by subjective human beings who have biases and preferences. What's the alternative?

• Like 4