I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

The alternative you provided doesn't solve the crux of the issue, it puts a band-aid on it.

Not to mention, the solution is in no way viable, as the corps themselves would have to vote to approve it.

Which would demotivate fans more:
- A great BD corps that is battling it out all season and won by a tenth that could easily have been noise. And naturally that was their 19th title, so it's getting old.
- BD won last year, so they aren't competing this year, which means that they aren't touring this year, so they won't be at your local show or in Indy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

Not to mention, the solution is in no way viable, as the corps themselves would have to vote to approve it.

Which would demotivate fans more:
- A great BD corps that is battling it out all season and won by a tenth that could easily have been noise. And naturally that was their 19th title, so it's getting old.
- BD won last year, so they aren't competing this year, which means that they aren't touring this year, so they won't be at your local show or in Indy. 

A guy pops in with a fresh idea and all you grumps stomp all over it. It’s a good thing I have my friend Garfield here to defend me. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

How about this idea. The champion is not allowed to compete in the following year’s championship. There is at least one music  circuit I know of that has that rule. (Choir)

So, let's say there are traditionally two really strong choirs.  They just alternate winners each year?

Barbershop Harmony Society Contest Rules

6. Layout after championship 

International champion choruses are not eligible to compete for the international championships to be awarded for the next two years following the year in which the chorus won the international championship. 

So - here’s a circuit that apparently doesn’t think it’s a crazy idea. 

31 minutes ago, Rylan said:

I was ok with either BD or Bloo winning this season. However, Bloo peaked about a week before finals (I think) and BD peaked during championships so I think the placements are correct there. As for SCV and Crown, I also think that the placements were correct. 

WIth that said, my pet peeve is when people delegitimize BD's win by continuing to say that they only make shows to win and to "play to the sheets". This is completely unfair because I can guarantee you that every single BD MM is out there putting out art as much as they can because they truly believe in their show. And, in my opinion, their high-concept shows are absolute pieces of art. (Note: I'm not saying that the other corps aren't pieces of art.) 

Yes, yes and more yes.  Every year in the BD 360 vids, the members talk about their show and they have a complete understanding of what they are to interpret on the field.  Other corps do a great job of this too, but the instructional staff at BD teach extremely well to the point the members have the opportunity to insert their own ideas into the show.  This happens quite often with BD. I always think back to Clash of the Corps and the members of the Cadets trying to explain their show.  Granted it's "reality" TV and can only be taken at surface level, but it was difficult to watch the members talk about their statue show.  

Edited by Whiskey
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

How about this idea: we hire qualified people to judge, we let them assign the scores they think each unit has earned according to a rubric, we do some math and award the trophy to the one with the highest total.

Every adjudicated arts competition on Planet Earth, from Olympic figure skating to the kids' painting contest at your local county fair, is judged by subjective human beings who have biases and preferences. What's the alternative?

I don't know who you think you are bringing common sense to DCP, but it needs to stop now. The audacity of some people............

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Now you’re just arguing semantics. We’ve reached that point of diminishing returns already. So can we go back to discussing whether you can break through a band’s ranks?  That topic was full of raw emotion and energy!

That and five cents will get the thread shut down.

Boring and tame is better in DCP land.

This whole thing about the DCI champ takes the following year off and doesn't get to perform the year after winning it all, i am ok with that cause BD can keep their streak of winning every other year intact. DO IT UP DEVILS!

• Haha 2

Don't agree with either position, actually. Bluecoats were pleasant, but lacking in depth in some key ways, and Crown, if anything, should have been in 5th behind Cavaliers based purely on GE, or their relative lack thereof. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1