I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

16 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I always think back to Clash of the Corps and the members of the Cadets trying to explain their show.  Granted it's "reality" TV and can only be taken at surface level, but it was difficult to watch the members talk about their statue show.  

Oh Lordy, that was painful. I felt bad for those kids. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

A guy pops in with a fresh idea and all you grumps stomp all over it. It’s a good thing I have my friend Garfield here to defend me. 

You'll be OK HD.  Bell, Edison, Ford, and the Wright Brothers survived their blow backs.

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Barbershop Harmony Society Contest Rules

6. Layout after championship 

International champion choruses are not eligible to compete for the international championships to be awarded for the next two years following the year in which the chorus won the international championship. 

So - here’s a circuit that apparently doesn’t think it’s a crazy idea. 

But, it's CHOIR!  They grunt and get points.

(I keed, I keed)

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Not liking repeat and repeat and repeat champion = everybody should win. Nope. That's not even close to what I said

Philosophically, it’s not that far off from saying, “That corps wins too much. Let’s forbid them from competing next year so another corps can have a chance.” 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I strongly believe Coats should have won and Crown should have been third

Am I alone? 

Am I alone in thinking that the Bluecoats had a good-not-great show that shouldn't have been as close to the Blue Devils as they were? Bluecoats seemed to have a problem with hot mics at Finals and I heard more than one teeth-itchingly-bad intonation errors in the trumpets, especially in the big blow-down section at the end of the show. It certainly wasn't the baby-throwing fest for me that many others found it to be. I would have put Coats around 97.5, I thought they were at least 0.5 behind BD.

Crown/SCV is a tougher call for me. Crown was so much better musically, but that was not a Top 3 visual program and the judges (rightly) dinged them. I felt SCV had the much more advanced show design and performance interpretation, while Crown excelled more at some of the technical precision performance aspects. I would be fine with the corps in either order, and agree that they should have been very close.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Don't agree with either position, actually. Bluecoats were pleasant, but lacking in depth in some key ways, and Crown, if anything, should have been in 5th behind Cavaliers based purely on GE, or their relative lack thereof. 

You, too, like hot dogs, don't you?!

2 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Am I alone in thinking that the Bluecoats had a good-not-great show that shouldn't have been as close to the Blue Devils as they were? Bluecoats seemed to have a problem with hot mics at Finals and I heard more than one teeth-itchingly-bad intonation errors in the trumpets, especially in the big blow-down section at the end of the show. It certainly wasn't the baby-throwing fest for me that many others found it to be. I would have put Coats around 97.5, I thought they were at least 0.5 behind BD.

Crown/SCV is a tougher call for me. Crown was so much better musically, but that was not a Top 3 visual program and the judges (rightly) dinged them. I felt SCV had the much more advanced show design and performance interpretation, while Crown excelled more at some of the technical precision performance aspects. I would be fine with the corps in either order, and agree that they should have been very close.

See, I'll bet you like corn dogs, or coney dogs.

My kind of dogger.

33 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Barbershop Harmony Society Contest Rules

6. Layout after championship 

International champion choruses are not eligible to compete for the international championships to be awarded for the next two years following the year in which the chorus won the international championship. 

So - here’s a circuit that apparently doesn’t think it’s a crazy idea. 

In my opinion, this is a ludicrous idea. I guess the winning team feels ok knowing that they are probably not the best team because the team that beat them last year is not allowed to participate this year.

Just have a different medal for each team:

- Best team according to the judges and had tap-dancing

- Best team that appealed to fans of the Beatles

- Best team that used tarps on each side of the field but not in the center because of unacceptable glare but many people liked that show

- First team that figured out what the detail of the pattern is

- Team that did the choo choo best and had the best facial hair look

- Best team that kept their shot

- Team with most incomprehensible show theme that people dug anyway 

- Team with the best winter wear

- Best Team with a queen in it

- Team with best Tribe/Cult

- Team with best use of Joan

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

But, it's CHOIR!  They grunt and get points.

(I keed, I keed)

"its just choir" brah! 

• Like 1