I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Barbershop Harmony Society Contest Rules

6. Layout after championship 

International champion choruses are not eligible to compete for the international championships to be awarded for the next two years following the year in which the chorus won the international championship. 

So - here’s a circuit that apparently doesn’t think it’s a crazy idea. 

Taking a year off is a death knell 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

As long as we agree that ketchup doesn't belong anywhere near them. 😎

You'd do well in Chicago.

I think a person runs the risk of being arrested for putting ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago. :laughing:

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

If the difference is .1 or less it really is immaterial. DCI uses a scoring system for educational and entertainment purposes so you're always going to have a ranking. But when it's a tenth or less, no one will tell me Bluecoats weren't worthy of winning or Crown worthy of a medal. If it had been vice versa, I'd say the same about BD and SCV. Just not the way the captions added up.

Most likely the kids have already worked out their issues with it, if they had any to begin with.

For Crown, taking home another Ott to Ft. Mills perhaps ameliorated some of the sting of missing a medal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

After the show in Lawrence, MA, I thought Crown would place 6th, and BAC and Cavies would battle for 4th and 5th. After Allentown a few days later, my mind changed. I thought Crown would medal.  For much of the season it was a bit uneven, but the major kinks were gone by Indy. SCV had a powerful show, but it was all power and little nuance.

I still can’t understand BD over Bloo. I enjoyed both shows, and I can understand the close proximity, but it should have been Bloo.

This is what I had always thought, especially when watching them back to back for three nights, that contrast was apparent.  I really thought a knockout performance would be enough for Crown to medal.   I was wrong.  I think they delivered their best performance, but it was not quite enough.

In answer to OP question, I don't think either got ripped off.  1/2 was a tossup for me, but I leaned BD, and while I was disappointed with 3/4, when the margins are that close, it's hard to call it getting hosed, IMHO.  

• Like 1

I haven't seen a live show in many, many years. As I watched this year's show I didn't have any preconceived ideas of who is better. I just watched. There were things I liked, and some things I didn't like, about each corps. But when it came to all out beauty and elegance I knew that the Blue Devils' show was the best. I watched the prelims and I saw the Blue Coats win. When I saw them all I came home and told my wife that regardless of their current placement the Blue Devils would win. And they did!

• Like 1

Regarding the placements of all corps in all four tiers they got it right  

To take home the big toy you will have to defeat BD. For the most part history has shown that to be easier said than done  

Unless there are some developments happening within the administration and educational staff that I’m not aware of I don’t see that changing in 2020. 

I know it’s something for some to discuss and over analyze during the off season.

BD may not be the corps some thought should win, but to those that actually make the decisions, they got it right. Cheers 🥂 

• Like 4