I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Well we don’t know if we don’t try, do we sport?

so you're willing to sacrifice a corps to "see if it works". because thats what will happen

39 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Honestly I think we are seeing two sides of the same DCI coin in BD and Bluecoats.

One emphasizes freedom of performance within the show concept, the other emphasizes technical execution. It’s not that one is technically great while the other isn’t, but Bluecoats for example tell the kids to flash peace signs in their own way in certain places; I doubt you would ever see BD do that.

Still, in DCI, certain judges will value technical execution over GE. This reality plays to the inherent and entrenched advantages that BD has as an organization: super established design team, they can pick and choose the most technically capable members, they can clean their shows to maximum technical execution down the stretch.

While I am sure Bluecoats would rather win gold than silver, the crazy lines at the merch tables validate their approach.

actually if the judges judge their sheet, they'll not worry about anything other than what their sheet is created...by the corps....to judge. VE or MA isn't effect. Neither are the performance captions. Those sheets are about the technical. the effect sheets are the effect sheets. And when you do the math, the one sheet that called the show was the guard sheet. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so you're willing to sacrifice a corps to "see if it works". because thats what will happen

Really?  Which corps will be sacrificed?  

Not that it"s important, but I liked the Bluecoats original closer...seemed to be a very classy way to end..I figured they needed to add more GE as BD got closer, but when I first saw that ending BOW  it was cool

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and if BD is unable to compete, what compels kids to pay $4-5 grand to go to BD the following summer?

Well, they are the Blue Devils.  People in other threads are telling me that the Blue Devils (and six other corps) have intrinsic market value and drawing power that transcends all else, especially DCI.  A year apart from DCI should therefore be of no consequence.  In fact, freed from the restrictions of DCI rules and limited appearance fees, the Blue Devils should be considerably better off financially, and able to produce a superior creative design the likes of which we cannot imagine.

(That, however, is not my view.)

For that matter, I was not suggesting we invoke such a rule in an American drum corps circuit.  I just wanted to see the discussion proceed without either of these myths snuffing it out:

• "a year off": a corps could appear in exhibition - or compete all through tour, just not at finals
  • "death knell": several examples show where groups thrive regardless of sitting out the national contest for a year or more

This topic has caused me to rethink a couple of things.  DCI is supposed to be an educational youth activity.  A big part of that education is learning how to handle competition.  Education would not be best served by having one team of vastly superior resources win all the time.  What should happen if that ever comes to pass?

The other aspect of it is parity.  Maintaining a competitive league requires money, especially for drum corps.  If contests are not as competitive, they attract less audience.  As said previously on this thread, having the same corps win all the time would not sell as many tickets to shows.  Look at the circuit where that is happening (DCA), and observe their sales trend.

Since BD is one of the main draws to DCI shows, I would not anticipate that DCI would ever consider a redshirt year for a gold medalist.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The Japan Marching Band Association has a rule where back-to-back champions cannot compete for a third straight title.  They become the special exhibition performance of the event.  This rule has been invoked eight times, because each of the perennial top two ensembles have earned back-to-back titles on four separate occasions.

They are still the perennial top two ensembles, so it has not been a death knell there.

They survived two atomic bombs.

We can barely handle not getting every single thing we want every second of the day. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

You'd do well in Chicago.

I think a person runs the risk of being arrested for putting ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago. :laughing:

Love the Chicago dog, but I prefer the New York Coney Island dog with hot mustard, onion, and chili. 

6902425.jpg

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3