I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually if the judges judge their sheet, they'll not worry about anything other than what their sheet is created...by the corps....to judge. VE or MA isn't effect. Neither are the performance captions. Those sheets are about the technical. the effect sheets are the effect sheets. And when you do the math, the one sheet that called the show was the guard sheet. 

Correct. But judging is still subjective. 

23 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Love the Chicago dog, but I prefer the New York Coney Island dog with hot mustard, onion, and chili. 

6902425.jpg

In honor of the Bluecoats it must be a Five Star Chili dog.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, they are the Blue Devils.  People in other threads are telling me that the Blue Devils (and six other corps) have intrinsic market value and drawing power that transcends all else, especially DCI.  A year apart from DCI should therefore be of no consequence.  

They are the Blue Devils, and they do have a solid brand and market value. That doesn't mean we try to harm a well-run organization because they win too often. That defeats the purpose of DCI competition. This idea is not fair to any corps that wins. DCI was created by the corps...not the other way around. The corps want to compete.  Why would we want to limit the number of corps that compete each season (by telling the champions of WC and OC to stay home)? This also limits the opportunities for kids.  Do we honestly think the fans would like that BD had to sit out a season? The fans want to see BD. This goes for whoever wins the title. I fail to see how we can be a youth activity by taking away opportunities. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, skevinp said:

They survived two atomic bombs.

We can barely handle not getting every single thing we want every second of the day. 

I remember a story from a few years back... the last known person to have survived both atomic bombings had passed away, at the age of 90-something, I think it was.

He was in Hiroshima Aug. 6... and injured in the blast.

So... the doctors treated him, and he was able to return to his hometown of... Nagasaki.  :blink:

Just in time for Aug. 9.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

Not that it"s important, but I liked the Bluecoats original closer...seemed to be a very classy way to end..I figured they needed to add more GE as BD got closer, but when I first saw that ending BOW  it was cool

I agree. I liked the original closer as well. Classy ending. Frankly, the Bluecoats show right out of the gate from day 1 was basically a championship caliber show. I, too, felt that as BD got closer (and I knew they would) that Bloo would have to react and generate more GE. But who knows, maybe the judges would have liked the original ending better. Hard to say. I wanted Bloo to win, but I loved the BD show, too. I'm not upset at result. Both corps were deserving, but Blue Devils definitely put on a cleaning display. That along with their guard to prop up the visual number is what ultimately put them just slightly over Bloo. It's a good lesson for all the corps. If you want to win, you do have to clean clean clean. Bloo was so close and so good. I do think both Bloo and BD shows will age well. The two corps are so different, yet much alike, and I love the products they are pumping out. 

• Like 4

1st or 2nd interchangeable. ONE judge determined the outcome for BD. However, I do not begrudge BD's win. Flip the results and you could have the same argument.

The one that really gets me is SCV. Early in the season I firmly expected SCV to medal. Their show early on  looked great compared to the competition - even beating BD. However, by the end of the season, it was GLARING how little they moved while playing anything remotely difficult.  The running to spots, playing, little vignettes became repetitive - almost comical in design.  The mic'd brass sounded so artificial. Watching them perform after Crown who burned soles into to the turf with rapid movement and glorious musicianship, I was convinced that, finally, the judges would reward Crown with the bronze - by a healthy margin. Disappointed it did not happen.  Oh, well. We move on. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember a story from a few years back... the last known person to have survived both atomic bombings had passed away, at the age of 90-something, I think it was.

He was in Hiroshima Aug. 6... and injured in the blast.

So... the doctors treated him, and he was able to return to his hometown of... Nagasaki.  :blink:

Just in time for Aug. 9.

Talk about bad luck...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

They are the Blue Devils, and they do have a solid brand and market value. That doesn't mean we try to harm a well-run organization because they win too often. That defeats the purpose of DCI competition. This idea is not fair to any corps that wins. DCI was created by the corps...not the other way around. The corps want to compete.  Why would we want to limit the number of corps that compete each season (by telling the champions of WC and OC to stay home)? This also limits the opportunities for kids.  Do we honestly think the fans would like that BD had to sit out a season? The fans want to see BD. This goes for whoever wins the title. I fail to see how we can be a youth activity by taking away opportunities. 

If i could, i would like this 100 times. 

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Correct. But judging is still subjective. 

it was even in the tic days. there was never a standard definition of what a tic was. at least now the sheets have standard criteria

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

1st or 2nd interchangeable. ONE judge determined the outcome for BD. However, I do not begrudge BD's win. Flip the results and you could have the same argument.

The one that really gets me is SCV. Early in the season I firmly expected SCV to medal. Their show early on  looked great compared to the competition - even beating BD. However, by the end of the season, it was GLARING how little they moved while playing anything remotely difficult.  The running to spots, playing, little vignettes became repetitive - almost comical in design.  The mic'd brass sounded so artificial. Watching them perform after Crown who burned soles into to the turf with rapid movement and glorious musicianship, I was convinced that, finally, the judges would reward Crown with the bronze - by a healthy margin. Disappointed it did not happen.  Oh, well. We move on. 

I felt the same with SCV/Crown - I didn't get the visual analysis scoring at all - probably the difference maker