I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

21 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I strongly believe Coats should have won and Crown should have been third

Am I alone? 

No.  Alone is thinking these questions should be reversed - whether Crown should have caught SCV for the win, and which blue corps should have won their third-place duel.

16 hours ago, hostrauser said:

teeth-itchingly-bad intonation errors in the trumpets

Speaking of feeling alone, I thought I was the only one to notice.  That feature in Eleanor Rigby, where they form four clusters around the mics and repeat the out-of-tune figures over and over... 

I have heard that if a lie is repeated enough, people will start believing it.  If you repeat a musical phrase enough times, do people start believing it must be in tune?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Taking a year off is a death knell 

The Japan Marching Band Association has a rule where back-to-back champions cannot compete for a third straight title.  They become the special exhibition performance of the event.  This rule has been invoked eight times, because each of the perennial top two ensembles have earned back-to-back titles on four separate occasions.

They are still the perennial top two ensembles, so it has not been a death knell there.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Taking a year off is a death knell 

We don’t know that. It certainly isn’t a death knell in the circuit I cited. 

19 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

We don’t know that. It certainly isn’t a death knell in the circuit I cited. 

How do (was it chorus?) these groups recover the following year to get back into that level? 

In drum corps, seems to me it would be fairly improbable. The loss of revenue and DCI star-power would be pretty devastating. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The loss of revenue and DCI star-power would be pretty devastating. 

Exactly.

Also, drum corps is, for better or worse, an "I'll try out for a top three corps, and if I don't make it, I'll stay home" activity. If you take the champion off the road for a year, do the non-ageouts disperse to another corps for a year? I'd suspect not. 

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Exactly.

Also, drum corps is, for better or worse, an "I'll try out for a top three corps, and if I don't make it, I'll stay home" activity. If you take the champion off the road for a year, do the non-ageouts disperse to another corps for a year? I'd suspect not. 

Sure they do. Why not?  Nobody is local anymore. Also who says the champion is off the road for a year?  

I'm going to work my tail off all year, but I'm not going to get a shot at the big prize. What's my motivation to stay with it all year? 

If I'm the #2 corps all year, I wouldn't want another Potter-moment and give the impression that the only reason I won was because #1 wasn't here. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Sure they do. Why not?  Nobody is local anymore. Also who says the champion is off the road for a year?  

That is not the mentality of many students that try out for drum corps. This has been an oft-discussed topic here.

A drum corps is expected to incur the cost of touring with the knowledge that they can't win anything? A student is going to pay thousands to guarantee that they can't place? A design team is expected to craft together a show (likely of D-list ideas) that for sure won't win or make top six or make top 12? 

I'm all about trying to even the playing the field through restrictions (in all facets of life), but this ain't it, chief. 

• Like 1