Jump to content

I think Crown and Coats got ripped off


Recommended Posts

It must be psychologically difficult to maintain a fan friendly show , which I think most on here would agree was the situation Bluecoats found themselves..Difficult, because the plaudits were ongoing from day one of competition..They "KNEW" they were loved and may have had a letdown by finals because they (particularly after thurs) probably felt good about their prospects for FRI. and SAT..The Devils , on the other hand, did what they always do...Clean, Clean and Clean....By Saturday, even I could see the improvement the Devils made over the last two weeks.,,So, most memorable show=Bluecoats..Most complete show=Blue Devils..IMHO..peace

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

That is not the mentality of many students that try out for drum corps. This has been an oft-discussed topic here.

A drum corps is expected to incur the cost of touring with the knowledge that they can't win anything? A student is going to pay thousands to guarantee that they can't place? A design team is expected to craft together a show (likely of D-list ideas) that for sure won't win or make top six or make top 12? 

I'm all about trying to even the playing the field through restrictions (in all facets of life), but this ain't it, chief. 

Well we don’t know if we don’t try, do we sport?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The loss of revenue and DCI star-power would be pretty devastating. 

They would need to be compensated. I would assume there would be a lot of perks the year after winning a Championship to offset the lack of being allowed to compete. Maybe an increase in the ability to determine the direction of DCI, more money, etc... You could probably apply it on a broader scale beyond just the previous year's champion to other Corps as well, maybe look at the top 5, or 7, or something like that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

It must be psychologically difficult to maintain a fan friendly show , which I think most on here would agree was the situation Bluecoats found themselves..Difficult, because the plaudits were ongoing from day one of competition..They "KNEW" they were loved and may have had a letdown by finals because they (particularly after thurs) probably felt good about their prospects for FRI. and SAT..The Devils , on the other hand, did what they always do...Clean, Clean and Clean....By Saturday, even I could see the improvement the Devils made over the last two weeks.,,So, most memorable show=Bluecoats..Most complete show=Blue Devils..IMHO..peace

 

Honestly I think we are seeing two sides of the same DCI coin in BD and Bluecoats.

One emphasizes freedom of performance within the show concept, the other emphasizes technical execution. It’s not that one is technically great while the other isn’t, but Bluecoats for example tell the kids to flash peace signs in their own way in certain places; I doubt you would ever see BD do that.

Still, in DCI, certain judges will value technical execution over GE. This reality plays to the inherent and entrenched advantages that BD has as an organization: super established design team, they can pick and choose the most technically capable members, they can clean their shows to maximum technical execution down the stretch.

While I am sure Bluecoats would rather win gold than silver, the crazy lines at the merch tables validate their approach.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Well we don’t know if we don’t try, do we sport?

I think that's what the guy who came up with New Coke said in 198whateveritwas. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s not that one is technically great while the other isn’t, but Bluecoats for example tell the kids to flash peace signs in their own way in certain places; I doubt you would ever see BD do that.

Did you even watch BD's show? They have TONS of individualized movement where each member does their own thing. Even the removing of the jackets/shakos was choreographed with them each doing it differently as their own unique characters.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Did you even watch BD's show? They have TONS of individualized movement where each member does their own thing. Even the removing of the jackets/shakos was choreographed with them each doing it differently as their own unique characters.

This ^^^ Individualized in no ways means that the performers "do their own thing" They are each individually choreographed and detailed which takes more time and effort than cleaning a single move that is done across the ensemble. That isn't the say the BD just did that. They had plenty of both types of efforts which ramps the difficulty up even more.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The Japan Marching Band Association has a rule where back-to-back champions cannot compete for a third straight title.  They become the special exhibition performance of the event.  This rule has been invoked eight times, because each of the perennial top two ensembles have earned back-to-back titles on four separate occasions.

They are still the perennial top two ensembles, so it has not been a death knell there.

and if BD is unable to compete, what compels kids to pay $4-5 grand to go to BD the following summer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

We don’t know that. It certainly isn’t a death knell in the circuit I cited. 

and what compels kids to go to BD the following year if they can't compete? What does BD do with their summer? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...