I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

Just now, HockeyDad said:

Do you think the judging is completely objective?  There is already a good deal of personal bias and preferences involved in assigning a score. If you think otherwise you’re kidding yourself. So, the legitimacy of assigning placements has always been kinda meh.

How about this idea. The champion is not allowed to compete in the following year’s championship. There is at least on music circuit in know of that has that rule. (Choir)

No, judging is subjective. It’s designed with parameters to guide the score, but I’m not arguing that it’s an objective analysis. But sitting here and saying that we shouldn’t allow a corps that performs better to win because they won previously is insane. If scores don’t matter, don’t you want to see each corps at their best? Excluding a group from competing for a year would ruin the group financially and kill its member education. I think absolutely everything is wrong about that idea.

For somebody that complains that placements are meh, you seem very placement driven, rather than focused on putting on the best production and providing for the best educational experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Do you think the judging is completely objective?  There is already a good deal of personal bias and preferences involved in assigning a score. If you think otherwise you’re kidding yourself. So, the legitimacy of assigning placements has always been kinda meh.

How about this idea. The champion is not allowed to compete in the following year’s championship. There is at least on music circuit I know of that has that rule. (Choir)

Wow, you are the last person on here who I would expect to advocate for everyone getting a trophy. 

Maybe Damp Potter could ask his infamous question to every winning corps on the sideline the year after BD wins and has to sit the year out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wow, you are the last person on here who I would expect to advocate for everyone getting a trophy. 

That’s quite a reach. Ok. 

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Maybe Damp Potter could ask his infamous question to every winning corps on the sideline the year after BD wins and has to sit the year out 

Hey, come on!  If you're going to pun the guy, at least do it right! 

That's Damp Otter to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Eh. I loved the Bluecoats show and feel they deserved to win. But I also know that Blue Devils know how to win on the sheets and they design shows to do exactly that. How judges feel and how I feel are often different and that’s the nature of dci.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

No, judging is subjective. It’s designed with parameters to guide the score, but I’m not arguing that it’s an objective analysis. But sitting here and saying that we shouldn’t allow a corps that performs better to win because they won previously is insane. If scores don’t matter, don’t you want to see each corps at their best? Excluding a group from competing for a year would ruin the group financially and kill its member education. I think absolutely everything is wrong about that idea.

For somebody that complains that placements are meh, you seem very placement driven, rather than focused on putting on the best production and providing for the best educational experiences.

I think a huge issue for the viable future of dci is whether it is sustainable to empower a system that basically makes it almost automatic that any one corps is going to at least medal every single year. There is no doubt that this is bad for the activity.

Of course if you are a fan of that corps that’s not a bug, it’s a feature...

Edited by MikeRapp

25 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

That’s quite a reach. Ok. 

Reread your proposal and tell me it isn't the same thing. 

• Like 4