I think Crown and Coats got ripped off

6 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

They were?  Are they gone now? :lookaround:

I was referring to finals week.  I’m sure they’ll be great come next June, too.  But it will be a different drum corps under the same name.  It is every year.  People age out, move on, etc.  Every drum corps I marched was different.  Even if it was under the same name. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

But it will be a different drum corps under the same name.  It is every year.  

Oh yeah, very true...I wasn't even thinking about that. I never marched myself, so I don't always have that in the right perspective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Not only do I agree, but I think it’s very bad for the activity to have the same champion so many times. Very demotivating. Whoopee, Blue Devils will likely win in 2020.  Let’s rush out and buy tickets. 

I can understand that it is tough that the Devils keep winning. But it would not demotivate me it would have the exact opposite effect. I would be motivated to defeat them to crush them. But I am not against the Devils winning. I am a fan of the Devils so I have to admit that might cloud the way I view their multiple victories. 

Unless DCI goes all WGI and lets in woodwinds then I will still support DCI, regardless of the Victors and the order of placement. 

• Like 1

I was ok with either BD or Bloo winning this season. However, Bloo peaked about a week before finals (I think) and BD peaked during championships so I think the placements are correct there. As for SCV and Crown, I also think that the placements were correct. 

WIth that said, my pet peeve is when people delegitimize BD's win by continuing to say that they only make shows to win and to "play to the sheets". This is completely unfair because I can guarantee you that every single BD MM is out there putting out art as much as they can because they truly believe in their show. And, in my opinion, their high-concept shows are absolute pieces of art. (Note: I'm not saying that the other corps aren't pieces of art.) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rylan said:

I was ok with either BD or Bloo winning this season. However, Bloo peaked about a week before finals (I think) and BD peaked during championships so I think the placements are correct there. As for SCV and Crown, I also think that the placements were correct. 

WIth that said, my pet peeve is when people delegitimize BD's win by continuing to say that they only make shows to win and to "play to the sheets". This is completely unfair because I can guarantee you that every single BD MM is out there putting out art as much as they can because they truly believe in their show. And, in my opinion, their high-concept shows are absolute pieces of art. (Note: I'm not saying that the other corps aren't pieces of art.) 

I made a post about this on the BD 19 thread, but I'd argue that BD members this decade have gotten the most well-rounded arts education of any corps. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

How about this idea: we hire qualified people to judge, we let them assign the scores they think each unit has earned according to a rubric, we do some math and award the trophy to the one with the highest total.

Every adjudicated arts competition on Planet Earth, from Olympic figure skating to the kids' painting contest at your local county fair, is judged by subjective human beings who have biases and preferences. What's the alternative?

I provided an alternative. Apparently you haven’t quite warmed up to it. 

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

The alternative you provided doesn't solve the crux of the issue, it puts a band-aid on it.

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

Indeed. I think formally putting a thumb on the scales ("BD can't win this year, they won last year!") is 100% guaranteed to produce worse adjudication that what we have at present.

Just now, Cappybara said:

The alternative you provided doesn't solve the crux of the issue, it puts a band-aid on it.

Now you’re just arguing semantics. We’ve reached that point of diminishing returns already. So can we go back to discussing whether you can break through a band’s ranks?  That topic was full of raw emotion and energy!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1