What if...the scoring system was more music heavy

I thought it was interesting to see that even with the difference in weight for the GE, Visual, and Music captions, the placements would not have changed (other than Crown finishing ahead of SCV). Ultimately, BD finishes in first by a slightly larger margin. 

Question:  If DCI music were given a larger share of the pie and even out weighed visual, does that mean the corps would move even less than they did in the 2019 season with the staging, prop-standing and park and barks?

I get the OP's point of view but am wondering what ALL the consequences of such a change would be in reality, not theory (or would that be music theory, ha, ha.)

It think what this analysis shows is that you need to be great in all areas in order to be successful. This is exactly as it should be. The corps with major weaknesses in any area show the largest swings either up or down based on the OP's weighting change.

Drum Corps is a musical and visual activity and as such if you are clearly deficient in either you don't deserve to score well. You may prefer the music side and think it deserves more weight but again this activity is a visual and musical experience and I would suggest the VISUAL and THEATRICAL aspect of the activity is what makes it so different than the rest of the music based activities.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

this activity is a visual and musical experience 

Equally or leaning to one side would you say, Spatzzz? One relying on the other?  (just looking to keep the discussion moving- this is an interesting topic)

1 minute ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Equally or leaning to one side would you say, Spatzzz? One relying on the other?  (just looking to keep the discussion moving- this is an interesting topic)

I think it is clear based on the results over the past that it is necessary to be equally strong in both in order to be competitive. You can have the discussion about what it takes to be competitive in each area but that is another discussion. I would say over the last few years the gaps between corps perceived 'weaknesses' have been minimized and the differences lie in the detail and nuance and PERFORMANCE (especially late in the season) of their products that drive the scores.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Music is underscored & visual & CG is overscored. Music should be the dominant scoring caption,

yes....and no.

i am ok with a 50/50 split. Music tapes will reference visual demands all day every day, and if not done, judges get crucified.

visual tapes rarely reference musical demands

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Question:  If DCI music were given a larger share of the pie and even out weighed visual, does that mean the corps would move even less than they did in the 2019 season with the staging, prop-standing and park and barks?

I get the OP's point of view but am wondering what ALL the consequences of such a change would be in reality, not theory (or would that be music theory, ha, ha.)

that is a possibility