What if...the scoring system was more music heavy

Bring back the separation of Music Effect and Visual Effect.

Rewrite the guard sheet to make it a performer-focused caption not a designer-focused caption (ie an almagam of the EQ and MVT sheets in WGI).  

These are real, achievable changes that will bring more balance to the adjudication.  

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, GUARDLING said:

Put out the numbers anyway one wants the visual captions will always be a part of the end result. Even BITD I always love when some think the score for guard or visual was only after a certan point. Visual and guard were pretty much always inherent in many captions whether the music end believes this or not..

Could more numbers make a difference? Maybe but rest assure we also have been a visual as well as musical medium for many decades.

Your response is confusing to read.

The historical recaps show that up until 1990, the guard caption was judged, but not included in the final score. 

It wasn't until the year 2000 that there was a Color Guard Caption that was a part of the final score.

7 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Yes please. Music should have a bigger share of overall score.

But as you can see from the OP, It makes little to no difference in the overall placements 

9 hours ago, Minimaster said:

Your response is confusing to read.

The historical recaps show that up until 1990, the guard caption was judged, but not included in the final score. 

It wasn't until the year 2000 that there was a Color Guard Caption that was a part of the final score.

It was always inherent .even back in the day it drove scores in all captions. As I said many still believe just as you wrote but even then the caption as well as effect captions blended into all captions and was certainly a part of final scores

On 8/29/2019 at 12:46 AM, FlamMan said:

Music is underscored & visual & CG is overscored. Music should be the dominant scoring caption,

90% of the members are involved in the visual score (perhaps 100, if you want to count the pit).

70% of the members are involved in the music score.

If more of the members are part of the visual score, it makes sense that the visual captions would have at least as much impact on the final number as the musical elements.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Yes please. Music should have a bigger share of overall score.

We have taken the concept of simultaneous performance challenges and really warped it into playing while bug crushing, running while growling, running while thrashing hair, etc. Somehow we managed to completely deprecate marching while playing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

But as you can see from the OP, It makes little to no difference in the overall placements 

The question is what kind of dci tour do we fans prefer, because I agree, no matter how you create the sheets, the same corps will dominate them. Personally, I think the music of the current drum corps is awesome, but it is clear we have moved into rewarding more park and blow overall, vs marching while playing. Not sure I have an actual preference, as I loved everything from Angels and Demons and Machine to Down Side Up, Jagged Line and Ink. 

On 8/29/2019 at 12:08 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

If the scoring system changed successful show designers would design shows that would score well under the new scoring system.  This has happened every time the scoring system was changed - even in the pre-DCI era.

I agree. 

If you look at Blue Devils of 1976 or Santa Clara of the mid 70’s, you see vastly different shows than what you see today, at least as far as content and style, but you see they knew how to score well then and the same is true today.

what would be interesting is for percussion, brass, and visual to have equal footing, perhaps 30% for each, with 10% for how well the three areas come together.